Late RI/CT report [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Late RI/CT report

Dble Haul
11-20-2006, 10:18 AM
I took Friday off from work so that I might be able to take advantage of the unseasonably mild temperatures on the coast. I headed out to South County and worked my way back to CT.

RI spots:
Central Beach- Dead
East Beach- Dead
Elephant Rock- Dead
Quonnie breachway- Dead
Quonnie Pond- Dead
Fire District Beach- Dead
Misquamicuit Beach- Dead
Napatree Beach/Point- Dead

No signs of birds, bait, or fish in any of the above locations. I then went directly to New London CT and launched my kayak knowing that fish just had to be around the mouth of the Thames. Bear in mind that there were no signs of birds, bait, or fish in this area either, but I fished it just the same. I found schoolies in short order around some rockpiles, with the majority of them in 10 to 13 feet of water. It wasn't fast and furious, but it was steady enough to keep me there until sundown.

Low sixty degree air temperatures and schoolies......it seemed like May out there. I'm glad that I got out when I did, because a cold snap is coming soon.

bonefishmon
11-20-2006, 05:40 PM
Mark. I'm so happy you braved the wind. Fishing was very good at Harkness as well. IMHO the baby bunker are sensing the colder water temps in the fresh water upper layer in the river and are moving out to to get into some warmer ocean water. Napatree and even Weekapaug are experiencing the same effects. The Pawcatuck is getting colder as well as the salt ponds. 4' bunker are on the move.
Could be an epic week oof schoolie fishing to end the season if you can dress right and withstand the windchills. I'll be thinking of all the tight lines I won't be having while at work. Tip paying jobs suck when the fishing is great. No work......no tips no moprtgage payment. LOL!!!!!!!! SOOOOOOO.......get out there and use some sick time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow anglers.

Phil