Estaz Stones [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Estaz Stones

Jim Miller
11-19-2006, 04:19 PM
This tie works well in the Fall when the steelies are on naturals & spawn.
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6cf38b3127cce8f0510eb751800000015108AYtGjJo1ctu

tie-dye-fly-guy
11-20-2006, 03:54 PM
nice tie jim. i tie basically the same fly and fish it at least 80% of the time as it is my go to fly for steelie nymphs for ny tribs. my question is what do you use to tie your body with as yours are a lil buggyer to me than my chenille. also i use another biot for my carapace, what are you using. i also use a larger estaz/cactus sometimes. best colors for me are burnt orange blue and pink. purple and chartreuse were great on PM this year in michigan for both steelie and chinookie. ive also tried braiding the bodies with black and green chenile but have yet to see any improvement with in the bite.

Jim Miller
11-21-2006, 08:33 AM
TDFG
on bigger patterns, I dub up the body and then wind a DF hackle thru to segment and give movement. For smaller patterns I dub and segment w/ larva lace. Tease out the dubbing between the LL.

For those skinny Winter stones (the ones we see on the snow) I'll just wrap Larva Lace to make the body. (sometimes the "midge" Larva Lace)

I use swiss straw for the shell back. Biot works on small patterns. :)

The size of the pattern dictates the thorax material. For me size 8-12 I'll use reg. Estaz. Smaller sizes I'll use chenille for the thorax and wrap a hackle thru a few turns to create legs and make buggy looking.

I like buggy looking nymphs. The more movement the better.

Also, for me, I like a fast & easy tie because I tend to lose so many flies to the bottom at the Salmon R. :rolleyes:

AKSkim
12-24-2006, 03:57 PM
This tie works well in the Fall when the steelies are on naturals & spawn.
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6cf38b3127cce8f0510eb751800000015108AYtGjJo1ctu

Nice photo of the stone flies.

At the 2005 Fly Fishing Show in NJ, Dick Talleur demonstrated this very pattern and spoke very highly of it. I fished the Salmon River from September thru late November, I had that pattern with me and never gave it a try due to the high water conditions. However, I gave a few away to another fly fisherman and asked if he uesed them if he would report back his sucess. I think I shoul dcontact himand find out if he did in fact try that pattern.