SE Ct. Report [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: SE Ct. Report

bonefishmon
11-15-2006, 05:39 PM
Mouth of the Thames up to the I-95 bridge is on fire with some very good fishing. Some large bass in the mix.

Phil

mcurtiss
11-15-2006, 06:15 PM
Mouth of the Thames up to the I-95 bridge is on fire with some very good fishing. Some large bass in the mix.

Phil

darn, and my boat just got pulled. I may have to try Bluff point beach this weekend

bonefishmon
11-15-2006, 06:50 PM
darn, and my boat just got pulled. I may have to try Bluff point beach this weekend

Ocean Beach may be the better choice IMHO. Less of a walk and right next to all the action. Do it quick. Cold weather coming soon.

Phil

mcurtiss
11-15-2006, 08:58 PM
Ocean Beach may be the better choice IMHO. Less of a walk and right next to all the action. Do it quick. Cold weather coming soon.

Phil

that's true. but then i miss the nice bike ride out to the point :biggrin:

Dble Haul
11-16-2006, 10:51 AM
Phil, is this a second hand report or is it based on your own fishing? I'm hitting the salt tomorrow and wouldn't mind chasing some birds closer to home than RI, which over the past several days hasn't been too encouraging through reports and my own fishing.

Thanks.

bonefishmon
11-16-2006, 04:50 PM
Mark. See your PM. Thanks.

Phil

Dble Haul
11-16-2006, 04:57 PM
PM received, thanks. :)

bonefishmon
11-17-2006, 07:44 AM
According to Rene Robinson, an authority on the Thames fishery, the flurry of activity at the mouth of the river signals the return of the big push upriver to holdover for the winter. I don't buy this theory just yet. There are loads of PB around attracting these fish. No ganets buzzing about along the Rhody shore means the herring run has not begun or is too far off shore to see. Water temps are WAY above normal. The Thames is hovering just above the 50 degree mark so we're close. A solid cold snap will add wood to the stove and bass to the Thames, Hudson, and Chesapeke.

If you want to have one last promising fling with stripers, launch somewhere near the mouth of the Thames, Bluff Point, Ocean Beach, Harkness Park and start chasing birds and PBs. PM me if you'd like some company or info on fishing this area. Shore access is good in some spots but a boat spells better success.

Phil