winter prawn flies [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: winter prawn flies

square tail
11-14-2006, 10:54 PM
looking for ideas for winter prawn fly for steelhead and different colour combonations any help would be welcomed thanks.:hihi:

Eric
11-15-2006, 10:51 AM
Hi, Square Tail,

Hard to beat the General Practioner as a prawn fly. Not a difficult tie, and is an excellent representation of the crustacean in question. Golden pheasant skins, the main material for this pattern, now come in a variety of dyed colors as well as natural. I've had very good luck with the natural color on winter steelhead.

Charlie has posted a number of other prawn ties in his Fly of the Week series (viz. Atlantic Salmon Fly of the week – Currys Red Shrimp).

BTW: You're from BC: what ever happened to the Squamish Poacher (another prawn pattern of proven effectiveness)?

Eric

square tail
11-15-2006, 11:46 AM
Eric the squamish poacher is almost non excentance in its use here because the intruder has taken off like wild fire.the poacher looks "dead" in the water compared to the intruder and when fished it will roll over and ride upside down on the swing with no body movement compared to the intruder wich you know has very life like movement to it with ostrich and rhea which will move and undulate in the slowest of current this is what every body is looking for in there flies up here and they want to be able to use large flies with very little bulk to their flies.
thanks will

Eric
11-15-2006, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the update. Back when I used to fish the Dean (90's) the Poacher was a talked-about fly. We never had much luck with it, perhaps for the reasons you describe.

I've got to tie up a few Intruders -- you make a compelling argument.

Cheers,

Eric

square tail
11-15-2006, 05:50 PM
Eric
any time i can help out a fellow fisherman it is my pleasure to share what has been shared to me with others if you have any favourite colours for intruders please let me know new to tying them but very addicting to tie
thanks will

speydoc
11-21-2006, 07:03 PM
Square Tail
An intruder with a pink rear,black body and front has been succesfull on the Skeena for me recently.
speydoc

square tail
11-23-2006, 07:52 PM
speydoc
thanks for the info will put it to good use i hope and will tie a couple of pink and black and will use this spring for old square tail on the vedder
thanks again for the information will:hihi: