Atlantic Salmon Fly of the week – Currys Red Shrimp [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Atlantic Salmon Fly of the week – Currys Red Shrimp

Charlie
11-09-2006, 09:07 AM
Invented a little after 1900 by Patrick Curry, a professional fly tier in Ireland, this may well be one of the best-known shrimp patterns of all time. Curry used this fly almost exclusively and caught most of his fish on it. It is still an extremely popular pattern.

Hook: Up eye salmon hook.
Tag: Silver tinsel.
Tail: A turn or two of red golden pheasant body feather around the hook and pulled back.
Rib: Oval silver tinsel.
Body: Back half, red floss – front half black floss with a silver badger hackle between.
Veiling: Indian crow substitute above and below each body section.
Wing: Jungle cock nails over front body section.
Collar: Silver badger.
Head: Red.

flytyer
11-10-2006, 12:18 AM
Charlie,

Curry's Shrimps are very good summer steelhead flies too despite the Irish Shrimp style not being in very common usuage. I suspect because they look different than the far more common hair wing steelhead wets and because it takes more time and skill to tie them.

Willie Gunn
11-10-2006, 02:38 AM
http://salmosalar.proboards80.com/index.cgi?board=stepbysteps&action=display&thread=1163081915

Pardon the non sponsor link, and the treble hook but Currys Shrimps seem popular just now.

Jerome F Molloy
11-10-2006, 04:44 PM
Hi Charlie n All
Have been lurking away back in the corner for a few years.Enjoy your contributions each week and love to see new flies. Your tying ability is growing each week.Keep up the good work. Thought I would share a pattern that came to me as a request a couple of years ago. At first I did not recognize it but something was familar n I went looking thru my books and located it in Mann Gillispie Shrimp n Spey Flies as the "Kylie " . It was said that the pattern hooked a number of fish in only a few hours. well long story short I tied the ones as per sample and sent them off to a certain individual. Also tied a few for MOI, n used them on the Cains two falls ago. It was too good that trip n I should have been sent home as a very bad boy,lolololol Nuff sed about that so I go another season this year n well,its one that will be in my box as long as I can tie. Best sizes for most fishing even in high water so far have been 6-8 with the 8 being better over all.
Hope you enjoy and Happy Fishing
Jerome

macspey
11-11-2006, 10:47 AM
Hi Jerome,
you ole polecat, thanks fer shaing the Kylie,,, I had heard rumours from down Riverview way <G>,,,Some fly, Yesb'y
cheers to ya
johnnie macspey

Salar-1
11-11-2006, 02:01 PM
Jerome
Now ya hav to post the recipe for the Kylie :-O
Pretty soon we'll have BF and RL and Backwater Bob posting here, from the SALAR list ! Yikes !!!
Next we'll be seeing recipes for Deer skin bleaching/tanning, "secret " flies,fish cakes ?
Cheers
Brian

Willie Gunn
11-12-2006, 04:16 AM
The Kylie shrimp has nothing to do with Aussie singers/actresses(I use the terms loosely) but is from the Kyle of Sutherland north of Inverness.

I think the dressing is similer to this

The Kylie Shrimp
Tag - flat silver tinsel
Tail - orange buchtail, strands of orange twinkle, and golden pheasant rump feather tied over
Butt - Black Floss
Rear body - Copper tinsel with silver or copper wire rib
Mid Wing - orange hackle
Body front half - black floss
Head Wing - orange hackle, with blue guinea fowl over.
Cheeks - Jungle cock
Head - red varnish

There are many variations using more modern materials

Charlie
11-14-2006, 08:23 AM
Jerome,

Very nice fly as always, and welcome to the forum. Hope all is well. It’s been a few years since I’ve seen you up in Gaspe. We will be going up next year at are usual time so if you can get up there it would be good to see you again.

Charlie