Which stripping guides do you use on 8wt - 9wt 9' fly rods [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Which stripping guides do you use on 8wt - 9wt 9' fly rods

11-09-2006, 07:44 AM
I have built a good number of fly fods during the past year and I used REC s.f. recoils from tip down to the d.f.strippers. For those I used mostly Fuji Ti SiC (TNSG). The problem is Fuji does not make them larger than a size 16. And I cannot find anything to match in color in the Fuji line. I could go with the stainless Fuji NSG for all three guides but I don't want any "rust" stains over time from salt water - although I am sure that is what I have on all my factory rods, and I do not have any discoloration on them - yet.
I really want to stick with the quality of Fuji. I looked at Pac Bay and they do not have anything in Ti in that size either.
All my 8wt and 9wt rods were built with a #16 stripper. I want to build on the same blank with a #20 stripper to see if there is a difference - I suspect that I will not be able to discern any difference and all this is for naught. However I would like your input how you are dealing with the question of stripper size being limited to #16.

11-09-2006, 12:16 PM
Hey Herb,

Not sure about matching colors...I gather the REC guides you are using are a silver metallic?

I'd suggest trying out the American Tackle line...I've used two of their guides (both available in a 20). There's the Titan line (titanium body with a black ceramic ring), and then there is another line of their's, the name of which I forget, that is a stainless frame with a blue ceramic ring. I've used both, with choice based on matching colors of blanks / thread...the Titans are lighter, and tend to have a bigger ID for a given ring size...Probably what I will stick with from here on out..

These guides are widely available....

11-09-2006, 12:40 PM
Thanks Mark. I am not concerned with matching strippers to REC. I just do not want to use a 12 & 16 in Ti finish and the 20 in another finish.
Thanks again.

11-13-2006, 05:55 AM
Check out Mudhole tackle. On their site they list a Fuji Ti in size 20. Also, check out Hook & Hackle he carries a lot of guides. Check out rodbuilding.org. a great site with lots of info for the rodbuilder. This should help you out. Note none of these are direct links so it's ok to post this info. FishHawk.

12-14-2006, 07:47 AM
Thanks. Decided to try the "V" shaped Fuji TSVSG in #16. It will give me the height of a #20.
Fuji definetly does not make a TNSG IN #20 - which is what I was trying to match.