Plastics [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Plastics

RayStachelek
11-08-2006, 02:23 PM
Many of you fish with Storm Shads and the like on occasion. Plastics have become an important part of a surf fishermen's arsenal replacing the jig in popularity.

Has any body ever give it any consideration what happens to a fish that digests plastic in their stomach?

juro
11-08-2006, 02:46 PM
I hear the pink dye is especially lethal ;) :D :lildevl: :hihi:

Sean Juan
11-08-2006, 03:06 PM
I have one word for you....Plastics.

Do fish actually eat these baits?

My dog eats plastic things all the time and so far its only made her retarded not sick.

JimW
11-08-2006, 03:47 PM
Ray I was pondering that the other day. When the storm shads get trashed I just throw them in the rear hatch on the boat. Recently I was cleaning out the hatch and stripped the plastic off the shads to recyle them. Depending on the size/style I'll either use the hooks for flies or the jig as such retied with fur and feathers. Even went so far as to save the foil for crease flies and bodies / wings. Anyway, I ended up with a whole bunch of plastic bits and realized how much of this stuff must stay in the ocean. I know I lose a few jigs each season to the blues.

Adrian
11-08-2006, 05:04 PM
Not sure about plastic in fish digestion but back in my lake trout days I used to find a lot of cigarette butts in trout stomachs.

Never seemed to do them much harm but they probably got 'hooked' on nicotine. :lildevl:

Of course, this gave 'rise' to a whole series of flies of which the 'Faggash-Lil" was one of the best known. Basically a spun deer-hair cylinder on a size 10 hook, well oiled and fished 'dry' in the surface-film on a summers evening would bring positive takes.

I would think that if a striper eats plastic, most of it is going to get passed. If a particular fish decided to make a habit of it that might be problematic.

RayStachelek
11-08-2006, 06:31 PM
If they are made of some form of inert plastics, it wouldn't dissolve in a fishes stomach very fast. These pieces would be too large also to pass through its anal opening. I agree with Adrian too about the butts and small particles. A little wouldn't hurt. Large pieces might block the digestive process and stunt the growth rate or health of the fish.

Have manufactures done any research about the materials in these lures and the effect on wildlife and fish? Just look at lead shot.

josko
11-09-2006, 05:34 AM
It's probably no worse off than a fish with a 9" bomber stuck in its' throat.

Dble Haul
11-09-2006, 11:58 AM
I think that Captain Ray raises an interesting question. I'd be very curious to hear what any of the soft plastic lure manufacturers might have to say about this. I know that a company (Gulp, I think) makes biodegradable plastics, but I'm not aware of how long it takes for them to degrade. And just because something is biodegradable, that doesn't mean that a fish would be able to pass it.

juro
11-09-2006, 12:19 PM
I'll bet swedish fish work well on a jig head

http://www.nutsonline.com/images/items/g215.jpg

Adrian
11-09-2006, 12:51 PM
I'll bet swedish fish work well on a jig head

http://www.nutsonline.com/images/items/g215.jpg
And if the fishing is slow you can eat 'em :hihi:

Quentin
11-09-2006, 06:26 PM
There was an article in the local paper that showed a photo of a small trout and 3 plastic worms (the thick stubby type) that were reportedly found in its stomach. I'm pretty sure the trout was caught by a fisherman, not found dead. Of course, there's no way to know how long the worms were in there or how long the fish would have survived if it hadn't been caught.

Q

shaialude
11-09-2006, 07:53 PM
Having worked with the plastic materials when they were first begining to form then into worms I concluded that injestion by the fish would result in large amounts of gas in the fish's intestinal track. Now guys, look for the bubbles coming to the surface to locate fish.

juro
11-09-2006, 09:04 PM
Gives sight fishing a whole new twist!

Paxton
11-10-2006, 07:31 AM
Look for waves, pushes, shadows, mud, flashes, birds and now bubbles.....this is getting to be too much for me...I'm going back to golf :smokin:
Ron