What Wine Goes: [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: What Wine Goes:

Eric
11-06-2006, 05:54 PM
Having some fun with the Claret Fly thread, mixing metaphors a bit to go from floss and seal-fur over to Cabernets.

Usually it's white wine with fish and red wine with meats, etc., but Moonlight makes an interesting point. Given that salmon and steelhead are of more robust character than sole, I was wondering: what wines do you feel go best with Steelhead, Atlantic or Pacific Salmon? I don't eat fish, being very allegic to all aquatic creatures, so for me, it's moot. But I'd still like to know.

Any lager, pilsner, ale or stout preferences?

Bottoms Up,

Eric

wrke
11-06-2006, 06:27 PM
No question about it. A good Pinot Noir — especially one on the light side, with full, robust bouquet (Atlantic salmon). A wine with a little more tannins for the sockeye, a full, smooth, robust one with Chinook.

SALMONCHASER
11-07-2006, 07:43 AM
I haven't touched wine in any form since four of us young lads took it upon ouselves to polish off a cask of cheap red wine.:eek: :eek: with styrofoam cups I might add. Classy lads we were:smokin:
I too release all of my fish so this thread is kinda out of my league as well,, however, i do enjoy the Glenlivet 18 and/or a cracking cold case of Molson Canadian(because,.,.,I AM CANADIAN) after a long day chasing Atlantic Salmon.
Dwayne
aka Salmon Chaser

jhicks
11-07-2006, 08:23 AM
Being in the Northwest you have the best wines in the world to have with Salmon. The Oregon Pinots are wonderful with salmon. They aren't as ripe as the typical California pinot. They tend to be more bergundian in style witch lends itself well with a cedar plank fired salmon filet. I make a wonderful soy sauce and brown sugar marinaded salmon filet that goes well with pinots. mmmmmm all of this conversation on salmon and wine is making me hungry.

teflon_jones
11-07-2006, 09:09 AM
A good cabernet goes well with salmon, tuna, or other robust fishes.

If I'm having beer with a fish like this, I like something hoppy that can stand up to the fish flavor. A Harpoon IPA or something along those lines.

rich_simms
11-07-2006, 11:29 PM
As long as it got a single cork I'll sip or cast it. :smile:

Charlie
11-08-2006, 10:01 AM
Cannibals! :devil:

Just kidding gents.

Iím with Scott on this one. A good pale ale or IPA would do the trick.

Charlie.

Salar-1
11-08-2006, 05:23 PM
SOOOOO anything goes as long as it's ina glass or bottle :smokin:
Charlie I'll trade ya an Ephemere for a Herhpoon IPA:smokin:
Dwayne
How about mixing a 24 oz of Haig and Haig with Labatt50 ? I seem to remember at one point finishing 1/2 the Scotch (mixed 50/50 with the beer !!) ANOTHER CLASS ACT !!! I know we've all been so drunk that we hade to lay down.Well I think I've got most beat 'cause I COULDN'T lay down because , Nah, that's a story best told and relished over a beer:roll: ( sensative readers might ask to have me banned again )
Cheers all

QuebecSporting
11-08-2006, 09:03 PM
0oooooh!!!! :eek:

Le Pinot Noir and Moi ...... (are best friends!!) :roll:

http://www.quebecsporting.com/Photos/pinot.JPG

Ann :hihi:

juro
11-08-2006, 10:53 PM
They tend to be more bergundian in style witch lends itself well with a cedar plank fired salmon filet.

life is good

SALMONCHASER
11-09-2006, 03:11 AM
I once mixed jack daniels with milk:tsk_tsk: that too is another story not really needing to be told:hihi:
1/2 and 1/2 eh??? Hardcore man!!!

October Caddis
11-09-2006, 11:48 AM
After a hard day of fishing in the Northwest one must drink outside no matter how hard it rains and drink throughout the night. Old growth timber dripping large drops on a moss covered picnic table, lot's of lawn chairs and good friends deserve a top Bordeaux with depth. Let say something like Chteau Haut Brion Pessac-Lognan 1982. A still youthful and spectacular matured wine for those of us on the early autumn side of life. This wine just makes the clave want to sing and dance to songs such as, "Is that all there is", "Those were the days" and "Yellow Submarine". This Bordeaux has matured well but will not improve with age like most of us have so we need to drink it now. And let me say that this wine will go good with local salmon, Elk jerky or Canadian Maple Leaf Franks.

A toast to all those who fish wild steelhead in the Northwest!

Salar-1
11-09-2006, 03:17 PM
Let me sober things up a bit with a streamside strong French Roast Coffee !
Cheers

Charlie
11-09-2006, 03:30 PM
A little riverside tying Brian? Very nice. I also like your idea about the Ephemere. I would be willing to bet very few people on the board have tried that. It is a real treat! :p

Charlie.

QuebecSporting
11-09-2006, 03:35 PM
Wait Brian !!! :frown:

Don't sober things up, just yet.
I'm taking notes of new wine to try...

Have a Martini and relax!!

A.. :hihi:

fredaevans
01-07-2007, 12:18 PM
If the fish is 'poached' (legally caught:lildevl: ) in the oven/barbie ... a ROOM TEMPERATURE glass of Viognier. One of the best (and relitively unknown til recently) white wines.

A good one is like liquid oil on the tounge.:D

nmbrowncom
01-07-2007, 10:12 PM
EVEN FROM BOSTON, I HAVE TO GO WITH THE PINOT NOIR-HANDS DOWN. BUT PLEASE PREFACE IT WITH A TAD OF HIGHLAND MALT.