When your trip turns into a.... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: When your trip turns into a....

arubaman
11-05-2006, 09:34 AM
Hi all,
arrived on Aruba monday the 30th of October. Plans were to go for bones and tarpon, I know it's hard and it will take hours off fishing, well... fishing... wandering along the shorelines, trying to spot some fish.
My vacation started out very bad. Upon arriving I am allready used to go to the desk of the odd-sized bagage, then they'll take you to the back of the airport where they usually have your gear or your surfboard or wathever standing ready.
This year I worked it out well, made a very strong big tube that could hold all my rods and my experience learned me it would be no big deal to pick it up.
Totally shocked I was when I came back there with the customs-officer, to see my tube forced open and broken, with the rods all sticking half out of it. Some &^%$#$ opened up the thing, pulled everything out brutally and did not even placed them back (only halfway). Didn't put the lid back on it....
Result: one rod missing and three rods damged badly enough to make it impossible to fish with them. One of them beeing my third and last spare 8wt rod looked good, placed the reel on it and on the first backward cast it just snapped.
The airline company only want to pay the weight of the broken and missing things. They offer like 25 usd a kilogram!!! So for all the stuff that's broken I could be lucky to get maybe up to 50 usd...
The @$#&^$#@#@, how can they! The rod missing alone is allready 6 or 7 times more then those 50 bucks (probably even more).
Well, looks like the vacation is getting a bit tuff now. Luckily I managed to have some contact with folks in the Netherlands (they don't sell fishing gear on Aruba) and there's an eight weight coming up my way.

But still.... If somebody has a Sage SP 8wt, 9ft, 5 piece (with two tips) and can get me a nice offer on it, I would be a lucky man. That's the rod I am missing most of all and as they are not beeing made anymore will be hard to get.

juro
11-07-2006, 05:32 AM
Sorry to hear about that! scary reallly...

Probably best to use a rod case that is as easy to close as it is to open, to allow security to inspect and re-close properly.

But there is really no excuse for what happened!

n1gdo
11-07-2006, 06:50 AM
Sander...so sorry to hear about your broken rods..

I put a note on my rod case last time I flew... very respectful and asked the inspectors to take care because the rods are fragile and expensive... when I unpacked at my destination there was a note taped to the rod case scolding ME because I had packed the rods with too much tape and they were upset because it took them too long to check them!!!! Well they had enough time to get a pen and paper and tape to write a note????

When I changed tactics and used a lightweight golf bag and put the rods in their cases inside..some of the cases had the screw on tops... you guessed it... the inspectors never screwed the caps back on ... just threw them loose in the bag.. grrrrrrr

who has suggestions on how to pack the rods so that they are safe to travel yet easy to inspect and put back in their cases ??? I dont think there is an easy answer.

I would like to hear some different methods to learn from you all..

Henry
11-07-2006, 07:50 AM
The best solution in my mind...and...one garanteed to assure that your rods will be there... is to UPS or FedEx them prior to your arrival. They can be insured for their true value plus, you receive "verification" that they've arrived at your destination intact and in good shape before you even leave home. Might seem expensive to some but consider the cost of a trip that goes sour (thousands???) because you don't even have use of your rods (broken, missing or otherwise)??? If there is a problem, you could always bring backup equipment with you and subsiquently receive you insurance cheque to buy brand new tackle when you get home. Almost makes a person "want" to get screwed around...."a bit"...okay...never!!!

Best regards,

Henry

n1gdo
11-07-2006, 10:16 AM
You are a devious guy Henry !!!!

Hope no insurance adjusters are reading your posts.... you will go on their "list" !

I think shipping stuff ahead would be a great idea.... but how much lead time would you need to a foreign destination...? Who would sign for and receive the rods ?
Where would they store them...What if your plans changed and you had to cancel your trip ? seems a bit iffy to me..

Have you done this to places in the islands before ? Interested to learn...costs etc.

Again thanks for the suggestion.

BigDave
11-07-2006, 10:39 AM
What about carrying on 4pc rods?

petevicar
11-07-2006, 10:55 AM
The sollution is to only use 4pc rods and pack them in your suitcase.

Pete

n1gdo
11-07-2006, 12:37 PM
What I did was buy a 4 piece and pack that in my luggage with my reels, flies etc. and use a separate golf type bag for the other rods in their cases...

I do like to take spinning rods if the winds are so bad I can't fly fish etc.

Looks like you guys are going to cost me a lot of money...
Now I have to buy a bigger bag and a 4 piece flyrod and I assume they make 4 piece spin rods...

When packing all that in one bag do you use a rolling duffel bag ? I just about squeeze everything into my main bag (clothes and equipment) so I dont know how to get by with just one bag.... any more suggestions?

Sorry to keep rolling on with this thread but I travel a lot during the fall and winter and any better ways to save my equipment will be appreciated..

thanks for the responses..

Hey Sander see what you started !

Vince
11-07-2006, 02:41 PM
I always take my 3 & 4 piece rods on the plane with me. Never had any problems to Montana, Mexico and the Bahamas. I also put a couple in my checked bag too. In fact, I now carry on my reels, and have not had a problem. I use a double rod holder that can fit a 10' 3 piece rod.

Just be prepared to check them at the gate if they don't allow you to take 'em on the plane. That means pack rods in a durable rod holder to protect them from damage & theft, and make sure the rod holder has a securely affixed ID tag.

If packing rods with checked luggage, try and split them up in different bags, or put one rod in a checked bag, and the others in your checked rod holder. That way if one gets lost, you'll still have something to fish with while you wait for the airlines to get you your stuff.

Make sure your checked luggage is easily identifiable-put unique stickers on them, or tie a bandana or colored string onto a handle. This way you can spot your bag right away, and this will also discourage theft of your bag.

I would never ship anything ahead to the Bahamas. Have a friend that lost gear that way, and have heard other stories of lost gear also.

Henry
11-08-2006, 10:43 AM
Sorry to say, but you seem to be the exception...at least as far as International Flights are concerned. Flying from Canada, no rods/reels/flies etc. are allowed in the cabin (no exceptions!!!). What alternative does a fisherperson have?. You can either arrive at your destination with "hopefully" all your gear intact...or arrive there missing half or more of your stuff either lost or stolen in the "system".

UPS and/or FedEx will garantee/insure your gear for the "full value" upon documentation/verification (fee's?). I suppose it just depends on how much of a chance/gamble one is willing to take when fishing abroad. If you trust the system and feel confident that your bags will make it to your destination unharmed...then "No Problem"...but...if you feel that there may be a possibility that your item's could be misplaced...well...you're risking your enitre vacation.

Any operator/propritor/owner of a resort/lodge/operation isn't worth their salt if they don't accept your package from either shipper (upon prior notification). If they say "no" and don't take responsibility for your goods...well...I'm not spending my hard earned dollars with them...point blank!!! I've not had a problem with this yet!!!

"Bottom Line"!...a person has no recourse if their tackle doesn't make it to their destination regardless of how many dollars they've spent on their vacation, One has to take it into their own hands to ensure they're able to "fish" with their "own" tackle and damn the torpedoes!!!!. "**** Happens" all the time...we hear about it every day...and dammed If I'm going to be one of those folks who got crapped on once every 365 days a year!!!

Best regards, and sorry for the difference of oppinion!

Henry Will
Oshawa Ontario

Henry
11-08-2006, 10:43 AM
Sorry to say, but you seem to be the exception...at least as far as International Flights are concerned. Flying from Canada, no rods/reels/flies etc. are allowed in the cabin (no exceptions!!!). What alternative does a fisherperson have?. You can either arrive at your destination with "hopefully" all your gear intact...or arrive there missing half or more of your stuff either lost or stolen in the "system".

UPS and/or FedEx will garantee/insure your gear for the "full value" upon documentation/verification (fee's?). I suppose it just depends on how much of a chance/gamble one is willing to take when fishing abroad. If you trust the system and feel confident that your bags will make it to your destination unharmed...then "No Problem"...but...if you feel that there may be a possibility that your item's could be misplaced...well...you're risking your enitre vacation.

Any operator/propritor/owner of a resort/lodge/operation isn't worth their salt if they don't accept your package from either shipper (upon prior notification). If they say "no" and don't take responsibility for your goods...well...I'm not spending my hard earned dollars with them...point blank!!! I've not had a problem with this yet!!!

"Bottom Line"!...a person has no recourse if their tackle doesn't make it to their destination regardless of how many dollars they've spent on their vacation, One has to take it into their own hands to ensure they're able to "fish" with their "own" tackle and damn the torpedoes!!!!. "**** Happens" all the time...we hear about it every day...and dammed If I'm going to be one of those folks who got crapped on once every 365 days a year!!!

Best regards, and sorry for the difference of oppinion!

Henry Will
Oshawa Ontario

Adrian
11-08-2006, 11:12 AM
I think this is about a difference of personal experience and both are valid. The bottom line is it's up to the individual to weight the risks and decide. At the end of the day there isn't a 100% guarantee with any approach.

Henry, could you give an approx. cost for shipping a rod case to the Bahamas (for example)?

My 'scariest' experience was my first Christmas Island trip back in '94. Air Nauru was the carrier from Hawaii down to the Island back then. When we checked in at Honalulu, none of us took much notice of the labels being attached to our bags. That was a BIG mistake. I always make a point of looking at the baggage labels now and checking flight number and destination code.

When we got to CXI, the arrivals area was (and still is) primitive and we could actually see luggage being unloaded from the plane. Several of us ended up missing a lot of gear. We made enough collective noise and the handlers told us to go out to the plane with them and look for our stuff in the airplane hold:Eyecrazy:

Fortunately there it was, labelled for another Pacific destination:whoa:.

teflon_jones
11-09-2006, 07:06 AM
Very sorry to hear about your problems arubaman! That's just an awful start to a trip!

I haven't had any issues carrying on 3 piece rods. I just strap the tubes to my backpack and I'm good to go.

Henry
11-09-2006, 08:12 AM
Shipping a couple rod tubes to the Bahama's from here (Ontario Canada) runs around $125.00 Canadian currency including "replacement cost" insurance. Your costs will likely differ (cheaper?) Both shippers provide up to the minute package tracking information. There's nothing like knowing that your rods are in the safe hands of your host (lodge/home owners/hotel etc.) before you even leave home! I typically spend from 3 to 4 GRAND&%!@$#& on my trips...the shipping costs are a drop in the bucket compared to not having my tackle when I arrive.

My pal and I even looked into shipping our inflatable Sea Eagle Kayak in order to lighten our luggage weight restrictions....Cost was prohibitive!!!.

BOTTOM LINE!!!...if your stuff get's lost...you get new stuff for free!!!

Best regards,

Henry

Swalt
11-09-2006, 09:07 AM
I got it figured out now. Fool proof.
I will ship a third, carryon a third and check a third of my gear. With any luck at all, I feel confident, I will have atleast 2/3's of my gear when ready to fish.

Henry
11-09-2006, 10:19 AM
You definitely got it figured out now!. Now how do you record it in your daily fishing log..."a 1/3 rd of a bruiser bonefish landed?..."fought like hell but a big cuda/shark spoiled my trophy?".

Fly "Bahama's Air" and nothing should surprise you!!!. Island residents with a 150lbs cooler of frozen meats willl arrive on their home island with everything accounted for...and you'll be at the end of the immigration check-in line waiting for your 5lb rod tubes to show up. Oh!...it'll be there Wednesday sometime...mabey!...OkaY!...mabey never!!!???..we're sorry...don't know what happened? It sure ain't fun fishin bonze with a handline and a chunk of conch (okay...mabey a bit)!...but that's what you'll be doing unless you take care of business "pre-flight".

I'm not taking any chances!!!...never...ever!!! I bust my ass too long, and work too hard earning the money I spend for these trips!!! If worst comes to worst and my stuff doesn't show up before I leave home...well I could just bring some backup equipment and hope for the best. Sure beats not fishing or borrowing somebody elses equipment (if there is some to borrow). Otherwise, a person could be finding themselves tanning on a beach for a week or two with nothing else to do but cry into their Kallik or whatever!

The "ULTIMATE" would be to have a "Pre-flight" check-in where you are present when they check/inspect your gear/bags. Then they seal them and load them on the aircraft "no further questions asked". In my estimation...these carriers get away with murder every day and all they ever pay for is the "total gross weight" of the stuff they mangle!!! There should be a law!!!???

Now I'm feeling really P__ssed off!!!.

Sorry gang!

Henry Will
Oshawa, Ontario
Canada

arubaman
11-09-2006, 09:09 PM
P....off???
They offered me a lousy 25 usd a kilogram for all the broken and missing stuff. What do you mean P...off??!!! Man, it almost brings up terroristic ideas in a honest fisherman. I couldn't believe it. that would be not even 25 usd for a sage sp, 9ft 8wt, 5 pc with a spare tip..... best bargain ever for those airline carriers...

But on the other hand, it can happen, if you worry about it too much, the savest way to protect your rods from mangling, breaking or be "missing" is to leave them at home and don't fish at all. Well no option to anyone of us I guess. And as long as there's so much fear in this world it could be logic that customs want to check out verything. It's the lack of respect to put things back in their package and to treat them carefully that I hate! I don't care if they inspect my stuff through and through. They can x-ray it, they can open it. But it's MY STUFF and they should treat it with respect and handle it with care, especially considering the price we pay to bring us to those awesome destinations.
I used to lock my luggage, but after having it returned with locks forced open and the lock inside of it, accompanied with a letter from (us) customs, telling me that it's not allowed to lock it instead of excuses for breaking my stuff I don't lock anything anymore. Hey, we'll see, hopefully my insurance will get the %$#@&^% and get at least some money back. For now I just turned lucky, my granny just arrived and brought me a rod from the Netherlands, so it'll all fall together and become nice after all.
Ciao!

JR SPEY
11-10-2006, 11:14 AM
Arubaman,

I doubt it was customs that gave you the trouble. I think you mean the Transportation Security Adminstration. When customs goes through your belongings you are usually present and can view what is happening. That is usually not the case with checked luggage and TSA. I think that tragedies like yours are quite rare. I take about 10-12 major fishing trips a year which involve at least four flights per trip and have never had a problem like you describe (knock on wood.) Homeowner's insurance normally will cover only theft, not loss or damage. At least that's generally true in the US. You can pay for additional coverage but it's usually scheduled coverage and can be quite expensive when you schedule everything you're likely to have with you when you travel.

There are several issues with using courriers out of the country. One is cost. It would only take a few trips to cost enough to replace a rod if it gets damaged or stolen. Secondly, it is hard to target how quickly something would take to get to where you're shipping it. Thirdly, return shipping can be quite a hassle, though it is possible that many who use this service check their gear in their luggage on the return trip. Fourth, getting payment from these courriers is not nearly as easy as Henry makes it sound. I have to assume he has never had a loss from UPS. Well, I have, as I ship almost every day. Getting reimbursed is actually easier from the post office (in the US) than it is from UPS or even Fed-ex. Finally, we haven't even discussed this issue of your gear having to go through customs. While the lodge owner is likely to be happy to store your gear, is he/she also going to go claim it from customs and/or pay any brokerage fees that UPS might want to charge? I've found that using courriers is effective if my destination is within the US, but is far less so when traveling out of the country. Henry, perhaps you've had a bad experience in the past or find that things are radically different in Canada, but I just don't see the chance that many guys will follow your lead on this. I know that the NO FISHING TACKLE in carry-ons rules for Air Canada are a hassle, but I never carry-on any fishing tackle any more anyway. And those rules were in effect long before 9/11, and all the security changes that resulted from it.