Claret steelhead flies usage [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Claret steelhead flies usage

flytyer
11-04-2006, 11:13 PM
Let's do something a bit different for a change and see how many folks use, have used, or know someone who uses claret steelhead flies.

Gillie
11-05-2006, 07:54 AM
I have hooked fish on claret patterns on both the Deschutes and the Umpqua, although I have had greater success with black or purple and a touch of some brighter color.

Around home on the GL's I have thrown some claret flies but to no avail.

I have not been overly creative with my claret flies and primarily have fished a Lady Claret as a change up pattern.

Gillie

Eric
11-05-2006, 08:53 PM
I mentioned some weird Don/Lola McLain fly in Charlie's A/S forum, and I used it quite extensively to gauge its effectiveness. Seemed no more effective than most and not as effective as patterns with orange and black, particularly late in the season.

However: most of my Genereal Practioners are tied with dyed pheasant, many of these ties tend strongly towards the Claret persuasion, and I've found them extremely effective, winter and summer.

They are dynamite on Kodiak Coho (one guide up there considers them about the equivalent of bait and refuses to use them -- albeit, his objection is more about the double hooks I typically tie them on, rather than the fly itself; because, since most of the Coho take the pattern from straight behind, they are apt to swallow it down to the gill rakers, and the fly must be cut off to avoid fatal injury).

Anybody have Pinot Noir or Zinfandel pattern he or she likes? Heaven forbid a Merlot tie. I'll stick with the Cabernet (claret).

Cheers,

Besotted in Waldport

Eric
11-05-2006, 09:31 PM
Geez, Guys and Gals,

You don't serve claret (reds) with fish.

At least not usually,

Cheers,

Eric

Geordie Shanks
11-06-2006, 10:07 AM
I do not have a ton of steelhead experience, but have fished the Deschutes, the Rogue, Skagit and the Salmon and have found myself using a couple of claret colored patterns that I copied from Schmooklers/Sils "Rare and Unusual Fly Tying Materials Volume II" as a fairly reliable second option. Have hooked several fish on these patterns and have pretty solid confidence in the claret. Purple or Orange/Black generally remain my first choice. Of course, if the fish are in a grabby mood, almost any color will work, but its all about fishing the fly with confidence right?

Moonlight
11-06-2006, 01:22 PM
Claret makes a very effective color for articulating Leech patterns for fishing resident and anadromous Rainbows on some of the Island streams to the North of here!
As to Clarets with fish Red is always served with Salmon colored fish around my camp (and chocolate).

pescaphile
11-06-2006, 01:37 PM
I like maroon-colored leeches in tannin-stained waters. Just like I like black, purple, olive, etc., etc., etc.

And I can vouch for Moonlight's choice in wine (and fish!)