crazy huge looking stealhead catch! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: crazy huge looking stealhead catch!

darkFly
11-04-2006, 06:29 PM
this thing is massive! http://pafishing.net/images/huge_steelhead.jpg

SALMONCHASER
11-04-2006, 08:03 PM
It is a beauty,, for sure,, and congrats, but lads would i be wrong in saying that most fish at arms length are monsters???
Again Darkfly,, no ill intent with my post as i am very envious,, just posting a random thought.
Dwayne
aka Salmon Chaser

Eric
11-05-2006, 07:59 PM
Wonderful fish. Suspect from the Skeena system somewhere.

Again, holding the fish at arm's length somewhat confuses the size issue, nevertheless, a magnificent "two-striper" and here's hoping his genes were not removed from the pool.

Cheers,

Eric

jhicks
11-06-2006, 10:08 AM
Gentlemen,

That is what we affectionately call the "Long Arm Compensater" Great Buck none the less.

jlsmithii
11-06-2006, 06:43 PM
gents,

i think you all have steelhead envy.:chuckle:

that is one nice fish

Gregory DeFoe
11-07-2006, 11:50 AM
Say what you will about the arms length enhancement in the photo. If you compare his right hand, 4 fingers width about 3", which is extended equally that fish measures about 38". Awesome fish, I agree Steelhead envy.

FleshFly
11-08-2006, 09:57 AM
It is easy to bash the photo for the old trick of holding it close, I agree with you all but I think we all have photos of ourselves at some point in our lives...Still a reel beauty...

Eric- What do you mean by the double stripe? And what makes you think the fish is from up north?

Gillie
11-09-2006, 05:08 PM
Eric,
I thought you might find it interesting that the web site is for Pennsylvania fishing. I think it might be a Great Lakes fish.

Gillie

Eric
11-10-2006, 08:58 PM
Answer to both questions:

I don't know about the location. I've never fished in Pennsylvania, but it looks a lot like one of the Skeena tributaries (to me). If you know a river in Pennsylanvia that looks like the one pictured, that's cool. I think of the streams and rivers of the Northeast as similar to the streams I've fished on the Gaspe. Beautiful, fishy looking river, wherever it is.

Two striper? That refers the double red band along the belly of the getting-ready-to-spawn male steelhead. Many fish in the Skeena system, in very excellent fighting condition, arrive in the upper parts of the water shed in this condition. I guess they do so as they ascend from the Great Lakes, too.

Cheers,

Eric

jhicks
11-15-2006, 10:31 AM
Ok guys this is a Canadian fish. The guy in the picture's name is Calvin. He fishes the NW rivers quite a bit.

FleshFly
11-15-2006, 12:31 PM
what was caught on?

fullerfly
12-12-2006, 03:36 PM
Sorry about the long arm factor boys, I guess you could say I was just a little bit excited. It is, by far, the biggest of my life.

SALMONCHASER
12-12-2006, 05:19 PM
Hey Calvin. Welcome!!! Hope you didnt take the thread as a bash or anything. Trust me,, we are envious of that fish and were just making idle observations. It is a beauty and one to be pretty damn proud of,,, wish it were mine:roll:
Filll the lads in on the pariculars,,you know the 5w's and all that.
Nice to have you on the Forum.
Dwayne
aka Salmon Chaser

fishinfool
12-13-2006, 07:47 AM
New Beginnings?

fullerfly
12-13-2006, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the welcome. This was a Northern B.C. fish, caught and released of course. I saw him towards the other side of the river and he ate within two casts. Then I said holy S*#! and the rest is history. As for New Beginnings....what do you think?

cal

Paxton
12-13-2006, 09:37 PM
I'm not sure what the "arm's length" debate is about....if one looks closely at the picture (left hand), it is obvious that Cal is married.....now what married man in their right mind and or who wasn't, but wanted to keep the marriage going....would hold a huge, gorgeous, slimy fish ON their jacket?
Way to go Cal.....nice fish and great marital thinking!:) You obviously earned "husband points" with that move....of course the points only have a 1/2 life of approximately 4 hrs...or sooner if you screw up :smokin:
Ron

fishinfool
12-14-2006, 07:39 AM
Was Paulie going crazy?