big tarpon rod [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: big tarpon rod

hmaadd
11-03-2006, 04:44 PM
Hey fellows I'm planning a trip to the keys this spring. I'm looking for a big tarpon rod 12wt. Choices are sage xi2 t&T horizon g-loomis glx or winston. Any suggestions. thanks

Eddie
11-05-2006, 09:38 AM
Those are all good rods. I like the Xi2.
Andy Mill, the best tarpon tourny fisherman, used the GLX #12 cross current 1 pc. so that one works.
There is a trend towards the lighter rods like a 10 wt. Most people fish an 11.

JR SPEY
11-05-2006, 05:45 PM
Eddie,

I have read your posts often and usually agree with most of what you write. However, there are two things in the above post that I must comment on. First of all, even after several years the rumor persists that the one-piece Cross Current rods are GLX models. There are not. They are the same series as the non-GLX Cross Current rods, the name of which escapes me at the moment. They are terrific casting rods, but they are not GLX rods.

Secondly, most tarpon fishermen use either a ten or a twelve. The eleven has become such a non-issue that several companies no longer even offer a true eleven. Almost all serious tarpon fishermen I know who expect to get fish in the hundred pound range and above use a twelve weight. That's not to say that an eleven can't do the job, but it just doesn't sell well at all. I, personally, love the GLX Cross Current 9' 11 weight.

hmaadd
11-06-2006, 08:07 AM
Thanks guys. Those two are at the top of my list. Does anyone favor the T&T 12 or is it just to heavy. I also thought the 1 piece was a glx.

Eddie
11-06-2006, 09:27 AM
JR, You are right, there is no one pc. GLX. It is just "cross current". Typing GLX after Loomis gets to be reflexisive. I wish those one pc rods cast like a GLX. Of course, I would have to get a place in the Keys to keep them.

As for 10,11,12..You make some excellent points. If I was targeting fish well over 100 pounds, I would go with a twelve and if was targeting under that, I would go 10. But it seems that where I fish (ocean side Keys), the fish are all around 100 (some over, most under). An 11 works pretty well. I have been fishing a 10 more and more because I like to think it makes a stealthy difference. It is a little harder to bring a fish to the boat with a ten but it is more fun to cast. I think a twelve would be too SPLASHY.

If you had two "tarpon rods", a 10 and a 12 would be a good combo. An experienced tarpon angler would probably have more than two rods.
But if a starting tarpon fisherman could only have one stick, and they didn't know what kind of fish they were going to run into, I think that an 11 would be a good bet. For just getting into it, usually the 12 weights are a little too beastly for many casters and the 10's are a little light in the wind and during the fight.
An 11 wt is just about useless for anything else. Maybe they would be good fishing for bigger jacks and smaller giant trevally and bigger Dorado. An 11 is not so usefull for an East Coast fisherman. Anyone want to by some used 11 wts.:o

josko
11-06-2006, 10:45 AM
I have a T&T Horizon 12 wt and like it a lot. I looked very hard for a 12 wt which I cold cast for the longest amount of time, and the T&T won hands-down (in '98). I can cast it for a couple hours pretty easily. It has become my go-to rod for nightime stripers, tuna, and heavy reef fishing (cudas, jacks, wahoo). It also works for SBFT, although I prefer a 14 wt.

hmaadd
11-06-2006, 11:44 AM
Thanks I've got two tens I'm looking for a 12. I need to get out and cast an xi2 I just never have any luck casting line. I need something heavy on the end of it to get the feel. and some wind

Eddie
11-06-2006, 10:50 PM
I just re-read the the read title. "BIG TARPON ROD"...got it.

phlyphyshr
11-09-2006, 12:16 AM
You should try the new Scott X2S, you'll be amazed!