Warm & Fuzzy [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Warm & Fuzzy

RayStachelek
11-02-2006, 08:32 PM
I had the ultimate fly fishing high never experienced before. Couldn't have felt any better. But before I tell you a little more about this, please don't look at this as self gratification.

At last nights United Fly Tier's meeting (UFTRI) I demonstrate a fly pattern of a friend of mine that's having major health problems now. I figure when my friend receives a copy of his monthly newsletter, that might cheer him up knowing that he's appreciated and respected. He wouldn't be at the meeting.

About 12 people sat down at my table to tie his creation. One of them happen to be a fourteen year old boy learning to tie. He reaches into his bag and takes out the fall edition of Fly Tyer Magazine. He asked me if somehow I could sign the article for him if I had time.

Just when I think I'm doing something nice for someone, the favor is returned full circle.

juro
11-02-2006, 11:08 PM
Ray,

You are the model of what guides and people should be like. Great story.

jhicks
11-03-2006, 05:33 AM
Very nice. Keep up the good Karma

artb
11-04-2006, 07:30 AM
:chuckle: I personally wouldn't expect nothing but the best from Capt. Ray. I have known him for about ten years, it should have been longer as we lived about 7 houses apart for darn near 30 years. I being kind of the loner and secret person that I am just didn't cross his path. I fishing south county and south shore of RI for about 60 years. Trout in Wood, and Falls Rivers, bass, blues, and albacore in the salt.
I have come to know Capt. Ray real well, as a true friend. About a month ago I had a real severe back operation, and only now am starting to be abale to walk around a little with a cane. Soon after I got out of the hospital, and was able to access my computer, I like always went to my favorite website, flyfishing forum. I almost split my back open again when I saw the doctored picture of me laying in my hospital bed tying flies. Cripes! I couldn't even see the vise, never mind tying flies. I do remember though looking into both him and his wife's smiling faces. :hihi: I should have known that he was going to do something to cheer me up. I have since received telephone calls from him cheering me up. I open up some of my outdoor catalogs and see many of his fly designs staring back at me. I realize that I am privleged to have one of the best of the modern flyfishers as a personal friend, one who in the flyfishing field has done a lot of observation of his surroundings. Ray your tops:D :biggrin: