What is a Scandinavian style plastic tube??? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: What is a Scandinavian style plastic tube???

11-01-2006, 11:00 AM
Hi there,

I picked up an HMH tube fly attachment last spring as well as as a couple packages of cut-to-length tubes. Well, the tubes are pretty much gone so I headed off to E-Bay to see if I could get some more. I ran across tubes that were labelled Scandinavian style plastic tubing. The seller had different colors, one I looked at has 5 lengths of Orange and 5 lengths of clear. Are these special tubes for a specific purpose? Is there a specific flytying technique that goes with these? They seem most interesting and I am really curious.

Thanks, Dwight

11-01-2006, 03:53 PM

The Scandinavian style flies can be tied on just about any style of tubes. They are sometimes called fatbacks or temple dogs and are characterized by a very high wing on top of the tube. The tubes you got are probably just marketed that way. You can tie any style of tube fly on them. Some of the colored ones give you a very cool effect at the front of the fly. The exposed part of the tube sticking out of the head usually has an iridescent glow to it. Check the link below for some more info.



11-01-2006, 06:43 PM
Thanks Charlie,

So these packages are basically the same as the HMH ones that I have that are clear tubes and I can cut to length. The only difference is that they are colored. I thought they might be different somehow since in the same package were 5 pieces of colored tubes and 5 pieces of clear tubes. I may have to bid on a package to give them a whirl. You are right the Chartreuse sticking out the front would give it an interesting glow. There is just way to much flytying stuff out there.


ps> did you ever get my private message about the stacking of deer hair to create the frog pattern?

11-02-2006, 09:57 AM

While I have not seen all the HMH tube types avilable, the ones I have are much stiffer than the Scandanavian style plastics manufactured for Mikael Frodin that I have. The ones you describe sound like the latter.


11-03-2006, 08:31 AM

The simple flies tyied with simple tubes usually are the best.


11-04-2006, 07:12 PM

Thanks for the picture, now I understand why the colors. Basically the bodies would be the tube color and just put a wing on. I can see these being great for spring salmon fishing here in New Brunswick because the fly bodies sometimes take a pounding, might have to get me some to try.


11-06-2006, 06:47 PM
If you break some rules...
The Scandinavian Fly Police are tough but can be won over with Jegermeister...

Tyed on HMH plastic tubes...top one has body braid over tube...