Rhodey? The End? No. Shore report [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Rhodey? The End? No. Shore report

Lefty
10-24-2006, 12:39 PM
Well Grego and I spent Sunday reeling in about 40 twinkies a piece from the Danvers R. , and then up to Manchester. Looks like the last outing.
What's with Rhodey guys? Horrible late October reports. One more day would be nice but what gives?

Lefty

Smcdermott
10-24-2006, 01:16 PM
Lefty,

I still think it has yet to happen in Rhody. Water temps are still around 60 and as of Sunday night Greenwich Bay still had wall to wall peanuts. I think you could see action into November. Last year we had albies in eastern LI sound as late as November 5th. I wouldn't count us out just yet.

Sean

sean
10-24-2006, 01:35 PM
Still summer time fishing here. Still finding lots of fish up in the providence area in the salt ponds. The blitzing folks equate to fall fishing really just is not happening yet. Hopefully once all this bait falls out of the bay things will get going. I experienced blitzes as late as Nov 30th last year so there is still some fishing to come.

-sean

bonefishmon
10-24-2006, 04:53 PM
Still summer time fishing here. Still finding lots of fish up in the providence area in the salt ponds. The blitzing folks equate to fall fishing really just is not happening yet. Hopefully once all this bait falls out of the bay things will get going. I experienced blitzes as late as Nov 30th last year so there is still some fishing to come.

-sean

Tons of fish where leaving the big salt pond on Sunday. A few friends can testify to it. They'd never seen anything quite like it. Shores to the west should start lighting up like mad. The Thames is also going bonkers on the outgoing.

Phil

Quentin
10-24-2006, 09:02 PM
Rhodey? The End?

Lefty

Hmm . . . . Take a look at some of the late October and November posts from prior years :smokin: . Strange things happen and every year is different, but there's no reason for me to believe that things would end early this year. I think we still have a month of fishing when you will find lots of small fish but still have a chance to hook a big blue or striper, or maybe even a hardtail during the next week or so. Some very (very, very) large stripers have been caught in November in MA, RI and CT. You never know if you don't go. Hasn't happened for me yet, but that's what I keep telling myself :hihi:

Q

Paxton
10-24-2006, 09:45 PM
Quentin...if this weather ever quiets down...look for someone with a white plastic thumb brace on the RI shores...I really would like to get down to Watch hill area and points east before the fat lady sings. Was hoping to hit Sandwich earlier this week...but with the blow going on, it would have been ridiculous.
Ron

striperstripper
10-24-2006, 10:26 PM
Ron your right Sandwich was ridiculous.:hihi: :chuckle: :Eyecrazy:

Paxton
10-25-2006, 07:57 AM
Stripstriper...as in I should have gone?

BigDave
10-25-2006, 11:44 AM
Hmm...I fished sandwich this past Sun at dawn on foot for 4-5 hrs. Low tide is obviously not ideal there. I found it to be kinda slow compared to previous weeks. Please PM me if I'm missing something!

JimW
10-25-2006, 12:44 PM
Plymouth had fish last night. These next few days could push the temp below tolorable levels though. Latest I've ever seen 'em blitzing on top in my area. Sunday morning was my first skunking in a long time but they seem to be hitting in the afternoon/evening - all small.
Seals are in the harbor and they are doing a good job on adult pogies. Maybe the pogy comeback is keeping the seals off the stripers.

JimW
10-25-2006, 12:45 PM
Left,
It was 2years ago this coming weekend that we got into the Bonito in Rhody.

Smcdermott
10-25-2006, 12:53 PM
Left,

This weekend is looking tuff weather wise. Unfortunately that may spell the end of the NE boating season for me as I am off to NC the following week. Halfway tempted to burn my last vacation day I was saving for the holidays on Friday though. NW 5-10 is looking good for a final cruise. Hope someone will get out to enjoy it.

Sean

Lefty
10-25-2006, 03:54 PM
Left,

Jim: Yes sir, very memorable, the sashimi man, whoa!

Sean thanks for the update. I have a hard time thinking it hasn't started yet down there. I guess I need a skunking to put the season to bed with!

Lefty

striperstripper
10-25-2006, 04:38 PM
That would be a YES,there are a couple of jettys(beach breaks)that seem to attract and hold fish this time of year not far from the canal.:hihi: :chuckle:

bonefishmon
10-25-2006, 05:25 PM
Quentin...if this weather ever quiets down...look for someone with a white plastic thumb brace on the RI shores...I really would like to get down to Watch hill area and points east before the fat lady sings. Was hoping to hit Sandwich earlier this week...but with the blow going on, it would have been ridiculous.
Ron

I'll be fishing on Friday at Watch Hill. Low tide at 6am so we'll have the entire AM in coming tide to play with. NW to west afternoon and no howling wind! Ron. We didn't fish together this year and in one month it'll be over. Come on down Ron, Paul, Craig, Bill, JimW, Quentin, Adrian and whoever else can make it. We'll have our own little Rhoddy III!

Phil

jfbasser
10-25-2006, 05:37 PM
That would be a YES,there are a couple of jettys(beach breaks)that seem to attract and hold fish this time of year not far from the canal.:hihi: :chuckle:

The fish come back every year even though the restaurant is under new management? :roll:

striperstripper
10-25-2006, 06:39 PM
Very odd is'nt it.

jfbasser
10-25-2006, 07:08 PM
They must have kept the same menu:D

Paxton
10-25-2006, 07:55 PM
Sounds like a plan to me ...if nothing comes up, I'll meet you there in the a.m..
Ron

bonefishmon
10-26-2006, 09:16 PM
Sounds like a plan to me ...if nothing comes up, I'll meet you there in the a.m..
Ron

Ron. Recent reports have changed my destination. Please see your PM.

Phil

bonefishmon
10-27-2006, 05:58 PM
Ron (Paxton) and I fished the Charlestown Breachway channel up into the pond this morning. Fish were very active before first light and dead low. We had to work hard to find them but did ok on the incoming. I left at 11:30 and Ron headed to Napatree while I helped some friends move. Beautiful day to be alive and wear neophrene gloves. It was so cold this morning but much warmer after noontime. It was great to see Ron as I had not had the chance to visit with him at all this year before today.

Phil

jimS
10-27-2006, 07:14 PM
Ron, so...how was it? You are so out of character, off the cape.

Paxton
10-27-2006, 07:56 PM
Jim...just because my license plate is FLYFSB and I have the word "Cape" tatooed on my forehead... there is no reason to say that I was out of character fishing in RI :)
Unlike Charlestown Breechway...Napatree was dead...no bait (the breechway had 1000's of silversides)....not even any birds sitting on shore, never mind diving. Did meet a couple of nice dogs however :)
The breechway reminded me somewhat of Stage Harbor....fish caught were 16 to 23 inches and fat....the larger ones had lice on them..all fell to a 4 inch olive over chatreuse over white silverside. Cold in the a.m....not only were my fingers numb, I couldn't even move them...headed to the car for 1/2 hr to get them moving again.....Santa...do I hear neoprene gloves?
OK...enough reporting, I have to find a place on my body to tatoo "South Beach":smokin:
Phil certainly knows the area!
Ron

Paxton
10-27-2006, 08:01 PM
uuu....just read my post....somehow the last 2 lines did not quite communicate what I meant it to say....for all you gossipers out there...for the record...Phil doesn't know where on my body the "South Beach" tatoo is going :) At least I don't think so:Eyecrazy:

bonefishmon
10-28-2006, 05:15 PM
Ron. The fish did show at the channel close to the end of the outgoing. Most were breaking on the west bank and then the east side closer to dusk. One of the guys from the club has a very sore arm from trying to cast to the other side. At 5:30 they were breaking everywhere on those silversides. Glurrglers worked well after dark.

Phil

Paxton
10-28-2006, 07:15 PM
Phil...where did you get your neoprene gloves? brand? They looked great, liked that the tips folded back, and if i'm going to extended the season, I really want to avoid numb hands.
Ron

bonefishmon
10-29-2006, 06:09 AM
Phil...where did you get your neoprene gloves? brand? They looked great, liked that the tips folded back, and if i'm going to extended the season, I really want to avoid numb hands.
Ron

LL Bean. Tips do not fold back. I didn't like those. Thumb and forefingers are cut off at the factory. Bought them 4 years ago.

Phil

Paxton
10-29-2006, 07:46 AM
Thanks Phil...I was wonderiing if fold back style would have defeated the purpose. Could see how it would.

striperstripper
10-30-2006, 04:00 PM
Ron I picked up a pair at boaters world the other day $12.95,great gloves and I don't think you can beat the price.They are made to fit tight so the factory cut slit in the thumb,index and middle finger don't leak.I was out saturday in the big blow and my hands never got wet or cold,they also came in handy grabbing fish.:hihi: :chuckle: :)

striperstripper
10-30-2006, 04:05 PM
Forgot to mention these are also the fold back type,great for using a conventional reel.They have round velcro tabs for holding the fingers folded back.

Paxton
10-31-2006, 06:59 PM
Thanks, will check them out