Martha's Vineyard [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Martha's Vineyard

ScottP
10-20-2006, 01:10 PM
Spent 5 days on MV - first 4 days produced a 12 lb striper, 4 schoolies and a lizard fish. Hardware slingers and bait dunkers did no better. Showed up at Menemsha right after someone caught a bonito off the jetty on a spoon, but we never saw any bones or albies (heard that the last day of the Derby, Lobsterville Beach was wall-to-wall with fly guys trying to hook a bonito since no one had yet). Tried everywhere - Pogue Gut, Edgartown harbor, East Beach, Menemsha (great steamers at Seafood Shack!!), Lamberts Cove, Vineyard Haven, Big Bridge, Little Bridge; fished morning, noon and night, every tide combination. Good numbers of baitfish (silversides, peanut bunker, sand eels, anchovies), we thought, although we were first-timers there and we heard lots of complaints about lack of bait; no breaking fish though and no birds. Also heard that water was too warm, fall migration hadn't started, fall migration was over, etc...... Finally on last day, clouds rolled in and we found birds and breaking fish in Tashmoo close enough to reach from shore - last 2 hours before we had to take the ferry back was constant action with schoolies. Great way to end the trip.

Regards,
ScottP

GregD
10-20-2006, 01:40 PM
Well it sounds like you were fishin hard, glad you got into some before leaving. It's pretty much hit or miss this time of year. It not easy to find them sometimes when there is no bait around. Seems like alot of the bait and fish haven't got out of the estuaries yet. Sure seems like it's going to be a late migration this year.

Greg.

ScottP
10-20-2006, 03:00 PM
We figured we were hitting the tail end of the season but it was the only time our schedules allowed. Had the same thing happen last fall in Yellowstone - got there in mid-Oct and hit 5 days of sunny 60+ degree weather; beautiful for sightseeing but crummy for browns moving out of the lakes. We caught some nice fish but we knew it could have been a lot better. This year and it's been cold and nasty; perfect weather.
Ironic thing was that our fishing buddy who joined us from New Hampshire had been doing real well on northern Mass beaches the previous week. I'd definitely like to try MV again some time; there's a lot of good-looking water up there.

Regards,
Scott

GregD
10-20-2006, 05:45 PM
It seems to be getting abit later over the recent years for the peak, that global warming thing perhaps. It is kind of telling that your buddy from New Hamshire was doing better up North just last week than on the Island.

I have seen some big fish up in the rivers as of last weekend still where plenty of bait is. I think you timed it pretty good, But we haven't had some of the big northeast blows yet and alot of the bait seems to be still hanging in the estuaries and rivers. Lot's of factors, make it tough to plan your trips in the future to hit it right. It has been a bit strange for fishin up here this year, the tuna in particular in my opinion.

Martha vineyard is a nice area to fish, hopefully it will work out better for you next time your up here.

Tight Lines,
Greg.