Pontoon bladder repair [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Pontoon bladder repair

tigger8it
10-18-2006, 12:07 AM
Bought a JW Outfitters Scout pontoon boat about 6 years ago for my son. He has never used it. Was going to clean it up and use it myself, but I found it has a small pinhole along one of the seams. It was bought used and came with no information about what type of glue or adhesive to use for the repair. Any help out there. I believe the clear inside bladder is made of vinyl.

Eric
10-18-2006, 03:18 PM
Hi,

"Aquaseal" can work as a temporary repair. For a more permanent fix, go to the manufacturer's web site and see if a repair kit is available. If not, other float tube manufacturers offer these kits and you should be able to get one from one of them.

Or -- you can buy a replacement tube (as a last resort).

Cheers,

Eric

teflon_jones
10-19-2006, 01:31 PM
Is it a flat seam where you can put a patch over the hole? Or will you have to use sealant only?

tigger8it
10-19-2006, 09:21 PM
Thank You for your responses!! Unable to locate manufacturer by internet or phone, all lines of communication have failed. It's like they have dissappeared. The pinhole is actually on the bottom of the bladder right at the seam. It appears that during the welding process the machine was stopped and realigned then the process was continued. This created about a one sixteenth of an inch offset from one part of the seam to the other. The pinhole is right at this offset. If I were to use a patch I would prefer to do this on the inside, which is impractical. One other suggestion I had was to use a small syringe to shoot aquaseal into the bladder through the pinhole and actually create liquid patch from the inside using air pressure to help secure the patch. I am pretty sure the bladder is made of thick clear vinyl.
Thanks again
Joe