wood you? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: wood you?

tie-dye-fly-guy
10-12-2006, 09:27 PM
am in the process of new commission for building new spey rod. on a 12.5 ft sage 6w blank; what is your opinion of a wood handle/grip over cork/other. all input appreciated. this will be my new gl steelie rod and i cant stop thinking/dreaming bout it.

juro
10-12-2006, 09:57 PM
I'm no rod building expert but I know what I like to cast, and cork is hard to beat. First off there is a certain warmth and slight compression in the hand with good cork that is missing in a denser material like wood, and on cold or wet days or when gloves are called for it might be a factor.

Another thing to think about is flex, I can feel the blank flexing under the cork when I drive a Spey cast for distance.

Adrian
10-13-2006, 08:04 AM
I'm not a rod builder so what do I know? But here's my 02c. anyway :lildevl:

I would definitely be concerned about the lack of flex in the handle and also added weight. It might look pretty but I don't think it will make a practical fishing tool.

There's a reason why cork has stood the test of time. But from what I hear, the good stuff is getting hard to come by. You might look at some of the synthetics but be prepared for some 'funny looks' from the traditionalists :whoa: