Art Burtons Recovery [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Art Burtons Recovery

RayStachelek
09-29-2006, 12:04 PM
Here's the latest on Art Burton's conditions via a phone conversation with his wife.

Art's surgery got delayed a day due to over scheduling of the operating rooms at Rhode Island Hospital. Seems there were too many car accidents Wednesday morning and some elective surgery got canceled. Art's happen to be one of them.

Art went under the knife Thursday morning. His doctors said that it went well. He also said that the pain he feels will be persistent, but the danger of a bone fragment cutting his spinal cord has been removed.

The operation started at 9:00 am and lasted three hours. Art was awake shortly after and felt a great deal of pain naturally. He's resting comfortable with pain MEDS. He had a good nights sleep resting on his side. It'll take a few days before the swelling goes down and he feels more like himself.

Right now he feels like he was hit with a gaff. Just goes to show that Boga Grips are more user friendly.

Ray

jfbasser
09-29-2006, 01:27 PM
Ray, Thanks for the report.

JimW
09-29-2006, 01:40 PM
Thanks Ray, I've been thinking of him. Glad things went as well as they could.

bonefishmon
09-29-2006, 05:58 PM
Thanks Ray. I was going to call this afternoon. When will he be taking in visitors?

Phil

FishHawk
09-29-2006, 06:20 PM
Thanks Ray for the report . Art is a very special memeber of the Forum. He knows more about fly fishing than most of us. FishHawk

Adrian
09-29-2006, 07:01 PM
Thanks Ray.

Good to hear he's through the critical bit.

juro
09-29-2006, 10:05 PM
I have an idea.

Let's do a get well fly box for Art. Capt Ray, what's the nearest and dearest flyshop Art visits most? I know the guys down at Weakapaug know him very well. We can send our flies to a collection point.

One condition Art - you have to try to fish them all when you recover!

striblue
09-30-2006, 02:14 AM
Thanks Ray, Glade he is out of the surgery part... wishing him well...John

bonefishmon
09-30-2006, 07:40 AM
I have an idea.

Let's do a get well fly box for Art. Capt Ray, what's the nearest and dearest flyshop Art visits most? I know the guys down at Weakapaug know him very well. We can send our flies to a collection point.

One condition Art - you have to try to fish them all when you recover!

He lives up in Smithfield, RI. Doubt he will be driving south.

Phil

RayStachelek
09-30-2006, 04:23 PM
As you can see, Art isn't wasting any time preparing for the Rhody Clave II. He's not one to take events lying down. Art's tying up a storm between naps getting ready for the fall runs. "Getting fly materials is tuff," he confesses. It's a major problem, but getting hemostats is a no brainer. So I guess I really can't complain that much.

Learned to tye the surgeons knot today from my primary care doctor. Surprisingly he didn't use one of those gizmo gadgets we use. How am I going to explain to Blue Cross, Knot Tying $30.00 - Price Less.

https://plus3.safe-order.net/castaflycharters//ArtBurtonHospital1.jpg

Art Burton's address (If you wish to send your best wishes)
355 Victory Highway
North Smithfield, Rhode Island 02896

FrenchCreek
09-30-2006, 06:23 PM
Thank's for the update Ray. Glad to hear & see that Art is still at it!
Give him my best when/if you see him next!

bonefishmon
10-01-2006, 06:05 AM
I stopped in at Baskets and More in Mystic......his son's business for an update. Art Jr. was not in but his wife was. She is hoping he will be up and walking in a few days. Great photo Ray! What a way to pass the time in a hospital bed. Good to hear he may attempt another shot at visiting the ocean.

Phil

Adrian
10-01-2006, 09:15 AM
What a great picture.

And that looks like a Rhoddy Flatwing too :smokin:

juro
10-01-2006, 09:40 AM
Art -

That is a timeless image! It goes a long way to assure that you're already on the mend.

I hope you get well soon, and enjoy the get-well flies you receive.

shaialude
10-03-2006, 09:43 PM
Ray, Note the vise, and you guys at the Rhody meeting make fun of my Thomson. They recently replaced the jaws of my 40 year old at no charge. Eat your heart out Renzetti. Us old timers stick to our old tools.
Ron Montecalvo

bonefishmon
10-04-2006, 07:06 PM
Art's son Gary called me this evening. ArtB is in rehab at Landmark Medcal Center...No. Smithfield-Woonsocket area and is doing well. He has been using his walker and is experiencing less pain. May be due to meds so we'll have to see how he fairs over the long haul.

He can be reached via 1-800-722-0175. Hold until the end of the recording and ask for Arthur Burton...room 203 bed #2. I tried at 7pm tonight but he must have been napping. A show of support will get him up and waving the magic wand again before he thought he could. Cheers to Art for a speedy recovery!

<*)======{.....................<*)#######--{...................<*)[[[[[[[[[[[[[--{

Phil

RayStachelek
10-04-2006, 10:08 PM
Just a reminder - Art's hard of hearing. Sometimes talking to him on the phone can be fustrating for the caller. He doesn't fully understand the conversation at times.

bonefishmon
10-06-2006, 08:39 PM
I called him today. I asked him to grab a nurse and she interped for me. He's in a lot of pain but he has been up and walking. He had a very difficult time hearing on the phone.

Phil