Steelhead Fly of the week – Black Heron [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Steelhead Fly of the week – Black Heron

Charlie
09-28-2006, 12:54 PM
This dark fly is another one from the late great Syd Glasso, a schoolteacher on Washington’s Olympic peninsula. Another version of this fly is the Silver Heron. It has gray wings instead of the black.

Hook: Up eye salmon hook.
Rib: Oval silver tinsel.
Body: Rear 1/2: flat silver tinsel, front 1/2: black goat dubbing.
Body hackle: Black heron substitute over black portion of body.
Collar: Guinea hen.
Wing: Black goose shoulder tented over the top of the hook.
Head: Black.

juro
09-28-2006, 01:22 PM
Nicely tied!

I've hooked a lot of steelhead on this pattern, however tied it with natural mallard for the Spey wing because I had a lot of it around and often used gadwall for the collar to give it a uniform natural look with the mallard.

I really like the black goose wing and guinea collar!

flytyer
10-02-2006, 02:11 PM
Charlie,

Excellent tie of one of my favorite late summer/fall flies (although I prefer to fish the black goose winged, grey hackle Grey Heron except in late evening). Syd also tied it at times with black hackle tip wings that he tented over the body as in his very well known Orange Heron.

I've not seen any Grey Heron tied by Syd that had black hackle though I've seen some authors list the difference between his Black Heron and Grey Heron as the wing being black on one and grey on the other. I've only seen Glasso tied Grey Herons with grey heron hackle. There may be some Glasso Grey Herons out there that were tied by Glasso that used grey wings and black hackle; I've just not seen any.

Syd did use black goose or hackle tips as well as dark grey goose (actually he used grey heron wing quill slips) as wings on his Grey Heron; but only black goose of hackle tips on his Black Heron.