October Fest...'Rhoddy' Clave Round II [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: October Fest...'Rhoddy' Clave Round II

bonefishmon
09-26-2006, 05:50 PM
Juro said it right! Can't let the weather and scarcity of our underwater friends get us down. Thus......we give it another shot. Looking at the weekend of October
21. If I get the overwhelming repsonse I'm hoping for, I am willing to meister another Clave for the Southern Rhode Island area. Would love to get a conga line going for this one (waders only) so we can all get together for our last Forum gathering of the year before the cold weather really sets in. Oct. 28 th is out for me. Birthday weekend.... needs to be spent with family. Hopefully ArtB will be able to endure the passenger seat by then and join us for the fun.

Napatree Point on Saturday (the little elbow).....a different location on Sunday.

What are your thoughts on this folks?

Phil

mcurtiss
09-26-2006, 07:54 PM
I may be in for the napatree portion pending the future maternity ward issues

Adrian
09-26-2006, 11:27 PM
October 21st works for me. :smokin:

Lefty
09-27-2006, 09:31 AM
I'm interested. This date might work, need to look at the schedule.

Lefty

mikez
09-27-2006, 03:44 PM
Boyoboy would i like another chance!
This past weekend I managed to disprove the old adage that a bad days fishing is better....
Besides the bad weather and scarce fish everyone else dealt with, I caught something i wasn't angeling for, a nasty flu bug which left me shaking and sweating in a soaking wet sleeping bag :frown: Not my finest hour. I'm just glad my dad was there to take the boys fishing for awhile as i hugged the camp fire and begged for a swift death.

I didn't quite completely die however and whats left of me is anxious to give it another try, especially if Lefty is gonna drag himself away from the northshore stripas - nobody else knows how to make the coffee just the way I like it! :wink:

Quentin
09-28-2006, 07:40 PM
I'm usually in CT or RI every weekend in October anyway so I'll probably be there for Saturday and/or Sunday. I've still got a few vacation days -- maybe I'll even take Friday off and do some scouting :cool: . Still haven't hit any real blitzes or lost any bluefish flies so I'm definitely ready to give it another go.

Q

bonefishmon
09-29-2006, 09:21 PM
What with the way things have been going lately I'm very glad I don't gamble! This will be a laid back "let's relax it a bit" gathering. No stress. We meet, we fish we thank our lucky stars (and our wifes and girlfriends) that a restful winter is coming and fatten up for the next season. Quentin.....I'll look for you that Friday.

On a happier note.......Rick Darby...Flyfishmich had a great week chasing FA's. Got a chance to fish with him today. Watched him hook and land what had to be a 10 lber from shore. I know it was heavy. I released it for him. Excellent human being and one hell of a great fisherman. Next year the Clave will be the last week in Sept. I certainly look forward to his visit again next year. Thanks Rick!

Phil

bonefishmon
10-04-2006, 05:43 PM
Bumping this up to see if there is additional interest.

Phil

jfbasser
10-04-2006, 06:37 PM
Phil, you think those shad will be around? Need to exercise the 4wt before I go to the San Juan River:smokin:

mcurtiss
10-04-2006, 06:38 PM
I'm still interested in the second half of october. btw, last night, the Mystic River was chock full of shad.

kennebecfly
10-05-2006, 07:18 AM
If its the weekend of the 21 I would like to join in again :biggrin:

Chris
10-05-2006, 08:11 AM
I should be able to make it with Drew. I'll check with the warden abotu a furlough.

BTW- Phil you're mail box is full, douche it out will ya!!

Adrian
10-05-2006, 10:53 AM
I might be restricted to Friday evening or Sunday.....

Will know closer to the time.

bonefishmon
10-05-2006, 07:02 PM
I should be able to make it with Drew. I'll check with the warden abotu a furlough.

BTW- Phil you're mail box is full, douche it out will ya!!

Sorry Chris. I've deleted all my sent mail but need to figure out how to save the replies somewwhere else as they contain important info. Pm is open again. Talk to me.

Phil

jared
10-05-2006, 09:04 PM
I'm hoping to drag the boat down on Sunday -- more than happy to share intel.

-Jared

bonefishmon
10-06-2006, 08:55 PM
The daytime bite is beginning but still spotty. Lot's of fish around in the afternoon east of Weekapaug near the rocks on Thursday. Wind was honkin' NE at about 25. Had to leave at 2pm today so I'm not sure about today. Got a load of bass way up above the bridge in the channel. First was a keeper on a 2" epoxy anchovie. Lot's of backing. There is lots to explore there once I find access to the flats.

I'll be hitting the Andrea in the dark early on Saturday. They were there this am under the lights right at my feet. Perfect conditions. Only lasted 20 minutes though. Can't do Washburn. Car is still iffy.

More later.

Phil

FlyFishMich
10-06-2006, 10:43 PM
Got a load of bass way up above the bridge in the channel. First was a keeper on a 2" epoxy anchovie. Lot's of backing.
Awesome, Phil!!!:biggrin: I haven't caught a keeper in years...spend too much time chasing the hardtails when I am out there. I will have to figure out a way to spend two weeks out there instead of just one. I hope you can put some of those epoxies I left with you to use...I will have a fresh batch next year. Man, I will have to find some steelhead this weekend. Have a great time, guys!

kennebecfly
10-07-2006, 05:31 AM
Sounds good Phil keep us posted , I think I'm headed you way next weekend Bringing a couple blonde's with me :hihi:

bonefishmon
10-07-2006, 11:21 AM
Awesome, Phil!!!:biggrin: I haven't caught a keeper in years...spend too much time chasing the hardtails when I am out there. I will have to figure out a way to spend two weeks out there instead of just one. I hope you can put some of those epoxies I left with you to use...I will have a fresh batch next year. Man, I will have to find some steelhead this weekend. Have a great time, guys!

Those epoxies work great on bass too! Guess what caught the keep? Got half a dozen in the dark under the Andrea lights this morning. I was beat by the wind and surf and headed home before sunrise. Shad in the Weekapaug channel. Nothing on the breachway. Sorry guys not to report the daytime acyivity. Daughter's birthday today. I have to be home all day.

FlyFishMich
10-07-2006, 11:07 PM
Those epoxies work great on bass too! Guess what caught the keep?
The next batch come with a heavy price;) Cleaned house on the salmon today using skein under a float. Tomorrow is my first attempt at fall chromers. Keep a tight line Phil!

GregD
10-10-2006, 11:54 AM
Hi Guys,

It looks like I might be able to get down there for the 21st. We'll have to see about camping based on what my oldest is doing that day, and football or deck hockey schedules.

Greg.

bonefishmon
10-12-2006, 05:56 AM
I've been taking notes. It seems the fishing has been a bit better the two-three days before a storm passes. This has been the case over the last month since I started paying attention. Birds have been working Napatree..ocean side hard over the last two days. All the schoolies you need to make your arm sore but be prepared to get soaked by the surf!!!!

Phil

striperstripper
10-12-2006, 03:45 PM
A lot of fish going through the canal today,all sorts of sizes,most have the darker coloring of fish coming from different locations ,not the lighter shaded backs we're used to seeing along the cape.The migration is definitly on,but far from over.Phil I'm planning on making R.I. this time.

jimS
10-12-2006, 06:14 PM
Hey Paul, early a.m. high on the bayside should be rock'in. I'll be east of you, and let's compare notes in the p.m.

bonefishmon
10-12-2006, 07:04 PM
A lot of fish going through the canal today,all sorts of sizes,most have the darker coloring of fish coming from different locations ,not the lighter shaded backs we're used to seeing along the cape.The migration is definitly on,but far from over.Phil I'm planning on making R.I. this time.

I look forward to your visit Paul. Perhaps you can swing by and Grab Jim away from the Cape! LOL!!!! He'll enjoy our little South Beach that we call Napatree Point. JimS......can you make it down for a day?

Phil

bonefishmon
10-14-2006, 02:31 PM
Launched from the Barn Island boat ramp on a beautiful.... almost windless, cold morning and headed out to the Sandy Point Islands in the kayak. Birds working hard at Napatree on the tip. Paddle all the way out and wouldn't you know.....birds leave. Headed back inside on a millpond calm to find bass breaking sporadiclly.
Tons of bass sighted near the bottom under the breaks. Fly of choice was non other than the Flyfishmich epoxy FA special. Thanks again Rick! Caught a load of fish and then the wind began to howl. I love the little Rhoddy elbow! Great sight fishing today.

Phil

bonefishmon
10-16-2006, 05:48 PM
Played hooky today. Marvelous day to be out on the water. Blitz after blitz in most of the spots I frequent. Loads of bait beginning to show. Hope I picked the right weekend this time! Get those bags packed and bring tan and white expoxies 3" long. It's all I've been using with great success. Don't worry if they are browned from age. It actually helps!!!!!! Fishing has been great all day long.

Phil

Quentin
10-16-2006, 08:38 PM
Phil, I almost had today off too. Decided to take this Thu and Fri instead of Mon and Fri. Hope I made the right decision :D .

Q

FlyFishMich
10-17-2006, 08:55 AM
Get those bags packed and bring tan and white expoxies 3" long. It's all I've been using with great success. Don't worry if they are browned from age. It actually helps!!!!!!
Congrats on another great day, Phil!!!

Maybe I should tie some up now and let the "age" for next year's trip out East?:hihi: I am glad you are getting some use out of them.

And thanks for putting a name to them...the "Flyfishmich FA Special". Perhaps with your endorsement, I can sell the pattern to Orvis and make "millions" (of pennies) on the royalties:chuckle:

No blitzing stripers here in MI...just those pesky chrome-bright steelhead;)

bonefishmon
10-17-2006, 06:22 PM
Rick. I had company in the form of another kayaker on Saturday morning. I was hooking up.....he was not. I handed him the FFM FA Special and afterwards he told me it was one of the best days he has ever had on the water. He tried leaving with it. It's the first time I have ever....ever asked for a fly back. I still have all of them! Not one breakoff. I have got to watch you tie one of these next year. I saw Slinger when we got back to the BI ramp and he handed me a few of his DNA chovies. Awesome flies. Thanks again Steve. No wonder I can't find any of that stuff anywhere. You probably gave a away over a thousand of those already this year. Is DNA publicly held? I may buy some stock if Steve keeps this up! Steve has openly commited to donning a pair of waders Saturday but won't be doing the Heron stare on the flats. He'll be nailing the drop offs and channel edges. Hope you make it Mr. Fly Slinger! Would be well worth coming to Rhoddy Fest just to see him in waders!

Phil

bonefishmon
10-17-2006, 07:01 PM
Whoops! Sorry Steve. Got a little carried away there. Let me rephrase"May have committed."

Phil

FlyFishMich
10-17-2006, 07:48 PM
Rick. I had company in the form of another kayaker on Saturday morning. I was hooking up.....he was not. I handed him the FFM FA Special and afterwards he told me it was one of the best days he has ever had on the water. He tried leaving with it. It's the first time I have ever....ever asked for a fly back. I still have all of them! Not one breakoff. I have got to watch you tie one of these next year.
I am happy I was able to spread good karma around (does that mean I will hook more steelhead this weekend?:D )...I felt pretty bad for hooking up on the WW albies when you didn't have the FFM FA Special available. Next year I will show you how I "git 'er done" on the vise and then I can risk life and limb to tail your albie. Good luck this weekend guys!!! Tear 'em up!

fliboy
10-18-2006, 05:22 AM
Any one have any links that tell how to tie up the DNA Chovie? Also interested in the FFM FA - what ever that is. I've been away too long - not up on all the latest patterns. I've got some tying to do.

Thanks,

Dave

FlyFishMich
10-18-2006, 10:22 AM
Any one have any links that tell how to tie up the DNA Chovie? Also interested in the FFM FA - what ever that is.
My fly is basically a “Surf Candy” style fly with an emphasis on a silvery abdomen (pearl braid overlapped with clear reflective tinsel). The wing is root beer colored Fish-hair (crinkled mono material) over white Fish-hair with about 6-10 strands of crystal flash in between. Apply stick on eyes to the head built up with thread. Use one-minute epoxy to set the fly and then coat with 5 minute epoxy. Trim and taper the tail to match the size of the predominant baitfish…longer for silversides and shorter for bay anchovies. Tiemco 800S #2 hook seems to work best. Maybe Phil can post a picture of both flies. I, too, would like to see the DNA Chovy.

bonefishmon
10-21-2006, 04:59 AM
It looks like the wind will be out the WNW today (Saturday) at around 15 Knots all day. After fishing yesterday with Quentin it seems best to start an hour into the outgoing tides. We have bright sunshine for today's forcast so some sight fihing will be in the cards at Napatree Point. If the wind isn't howling too hard I am bringing the yak.

I can't be around for Sunday as I have to work.

Good luck to all that come!

Phil

bonefishmon
10-21-2006, 08:11 PM
Q and I hit the Narrow River estuary and mouth today to duck wind that was blowing sand over the dunes everywhere i went. Great spot to visit again but unlike the last time I was there we knoked but no one was home. A beautiful day to be out in the elements. Wind should be lesser tomorrow with the possibility of showers in the afternoon. Good fishing weather.

Phil

Quentin
10-23-2006, 11:32 PM
Glad I made it a four day weekend. Caught plenty of schoolies on Thursday and Friday but didn't catch much on Saturday or Sunday until I made a detour to Old Saybrook on the way home and had fun with the shad for an hour or so. It was good to see Phil and Adrian again and I learned about a couple of places that I hadn't tried before. Great weekend all in all.

Q

bonefishmon
10-25-2006, 05:29 PM
I'm not one to give up! Shooting for a Friday at Watch Hill based solely on the weather. Who'd like to meet up?

Phil

sean
10-26-2006, 02:04 AM
Just getting in right now and the fishing was great. If I had to guess I caught at the least 40 fish and a couple keepers in the mix. The big pond is full of anchovies and there are a lot of bass around. Talked to a regular and he was saying yesterday that 10 twenty pounders were caught last night. I was not so lucky as far as lots of really big fish being around but there were some. Unfortunately the last fish of the night was probably my biggest ever on a fly and I broke my sage xp 9wt at the cork trying to stear her clear of some pilings, buh bye fish:rolleyes:

Until tomorrow...

-sean