Best rod, line and leader for casting longer distances [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Best rod, line and leader for casting longer distances

bravo2zero
09-22-2006, 01:34 PM
I don't have a float tube and sometimes fish from the bank at a resovoir.
So I was wondering what the best rod and length as well as line (sinking or floating) and also leader for casting farther out into the lake?

teflon_jones
09-22-2006, 04:05 PM
That's a loaded question. Stiffer rods will generally cast better long distances because they can handle more line better. Longer rods will also allow you to cast farther. Shooting tapers which have short, heavy heads, and long, thin running lines are the best casters, but for the fishing you're doing, I'd just stick with a weight forward floating line. Are you going after bass? They make bass bug tapers that are specifically made for turning over big, heavy flies. Also, generally you need a 5 weight or heavier to really get good distance out of it. Heavier lines will also hold up in the wind better.

Sinking line is usually harder to cast long distances because of its weight.

In the end though, the biggest differential is going to be the caster. You should practice as much as you can. A good caster with a 7 ft 1 wt rod can outcast a poor caster with a 6 wt 10 ft rod.

Adrian
09-22-2006, 04:11 PM
I would stick with a 9ft rod. For distance you need to learn to double-haul. If you can do that then a shooting head system rated a couple of sizes higher than the rod rating will get you out there (e.g. on a 6wt rod go with an 8wt head). Sinking heads are easier to launch than floating because there is more weight concentrated into a slimmer profile and less wind resistance. On a fast sinking line you can get away with a short leader. 3 feet of straight mono will be fine.

If fish are feeding near the surface then go with a floating head. Shooting heads are great for distance but the presentation will be eratic. If the fish are deep that won't matter but if you're casting to rising fish taking midge or sedge pupae you'll be better of with a WF line.

You'll lose a bit of range but the presentation will be a lot better. You'll also want a tapered leader of at least 12ft, preferably more. As you get more comfortable casting with this 'finesse' set up it pays to go with as long a leader as you can handle - up to 20ft. The further away your fly is from the end of the flyline the better.

Hope this helps. Back home in the UK almost all of my freshwater fishing was on reservoirs and a long cast was a huge advantage.

p.s. welcome to the forum. I see you're in Idaho? I hear they have some good trout fishing out there. :smokin: