Rolling Duffel [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Rolling Duffel

kentP
09-21-2006, 05:00 AM
My name is Kent Petersen from Sweden and wright english as i speak it, sorry.
I am planing of bying a rollerduffel , but dont now wish one to take. I am going to use it when i going away for flyfishing bonefish and tarpon.
Which one do you recommend of Fishpond Outbond Rolling Duffel -or William Joseph BDF- Big Fishing Duffle. Its going to be use from Sweden to where i can fish bonefish so it can be quit hard tripps. Need your help of decide.
Mvh Kent Petersen

teflon_jones
09-21-2006, 08:15 AM
I'd look at the LL Bean duffel bags. I've had one for 10 years that's gone all over the the world with me and it doesn't have any damage at all, no rips/tears, not even a single thread coming loose! Their products are as tough as they come.

Vince
09-21-2006, 09:30 AM
Kent, I have the Fishpond Outbound rolling duffel, and I love it. Built strong, plus I love the separate bottom compartment for rods, and anything else you want to keep separate. I've used it on 4-5 trips, and so far so good. It also has some other handy pockets inside, plus a rain cover than comes with it.
I also have the LL Bean rolling duffels, and they are great too. I did have to get the handles on the side pockets re:sewn after about 5 years as they began tearing. I would typically carry loads of 50-70 lbs in them to the Bahamas or Mexico.

juro
09-21-2006, 11:29 AM
I use the Dakine Wheeled Travel Luggage and like them a lot.

Google "dakine wheeled travel bag" or "dakine luggage" to find a way to get 'em.

Separate compartments allow separation of wading shoes and gear from clothing and other stuff.

Side straps allow me to strap in rod tubes in transit.

Big enough to pack the 4-pc rods inside the luggage.

Roller blade style wheels are smooth and fast.

Easy access pockets are lined for separation and accessible without opening the main compartment.

Good luck!

burk
09-21-2006, 06:18 PM
Fishpond stuff is great stuff and well built, I'm sure you couldn't go wrong with any of their products. One other one you might look at is the Patagonia, Solid as a tank. That ended up being my choice. But either one will outlast your lifetime.

Spock
09-21-2006, 07:01 PM
The outbound is a great peice of luggage we sell quite a few

Nick
09-22-2006, 02:41 PM
I'd look at the LL Bean duffel bags. I've had one for 10 years that's gone all over the the world with me and it doesn't have any damage at all, no rips/tears, not even a single thread coming loose! Their products are as tough as they come.

Ditto...got one from there that I took to NZ. Top part was duffle for everything non fishing, bottom held all my gear and fit two 5pc rods (probably even a 4 pc) neatly secured. Great bag...LL Bean Large Rolling duffle.

Eddie
09-23-2006, 02:34 PM
I have a Sage roller for 4pc. rods and a WJ BFD. Both are excellent.
The BDF is HUGE!!! Expect to pay overweight charges. It is hard not to go over 55#( or 65# or 75#!!!). When traveling with the bfd, no one is your friend. It is the Hummer of lugage. Bag handlers and airport employees get on their radios and call for back up. Cabbies shrug their shoulders and pretend that they don't see it as they pop the trunk. Expect to get held up at customs. Your friends will mock you. Nothing says "Apex consumer" or ugly American like the WJ BFD. Still, it is nice to be able to fit three pc rods in a roll aboard. I made pvc, 6" square tubes to save a little weight, and only pack light stuff in the BFD. I carry on the reels and books and batteries.
If you are fishing with 4pc. rods, take a smaller bag. The Sage is very nice.
God forbid I travel with both!!!:whoa: :tsk_tsk: