So...WHERE ARE THEY? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: So...WHERE ARE THEY?

jimS
09-19-2006, 08:22 AM
The last few days have been frustrating on the Cape. It appears that we are back in the summer mode - night and before sunrise fishery. Reports from the fleet indicate that things have shutdown inshore. No significant amount of bait and the water has warmed.

So, where are they?

sean
09-19-2006, 09:10 AM
Summer time mode still in effect down here as well. Night fishing has been decent but it sounds like any migration activity has reverted back to summer time feeding patterns. I fish nights so good thing for me...

-sean

BigDave
09-19-2006, 09:11 AM
Setptember can be the toughest time of the season...hopefully we'll be in full swing in the next couple of weeks!

Adrian
09-19-2006, 09:17 AM
The night bite has been consistent :smokin:

The temps are all over the place. A couple of days ago we turned the heating on, yesterday we had the a/c cranked up.

Sean Juan
09-19-2006, 09:50 AM
Went out this morning to Chatham Light, few little guys that it, nothing like last week Silas and I both had cramps in our arms from fighting fish.

I'll probably go back to my familiar haunts tonight in B. Harbor or maybe take the yak around Great Island Welfleet they have been good but nothing compares to last week.

FredA
09-19-2006, 10:52 AM
Bayside Sunday am was real quiet but there was significant bait present (silversides). This was top of the incoming. Did manage a few schoolies. Fellow creek freek said it had been slow all week, unlike the previous week when things were somewhat hot.

Upper bassless river has loads of bait with lots of snapper blues harrassing. Suspect stripers will be up in #'s shortly, bring yer 6 wgt.

juro
09-19-2006, 12:44 PM
IMHO we need to move around this time of year, the fish are doing same during the day. I would say there are still big bass sticking on the sand eel populations on the bayside around the low and bet there are good fish on the outer beaches better on the flip tide though.

Find small bunker and the schoolies are not far off, a few large fish mixed in; incoming tide push makes them push the bait against the shore and into inlets on the bayside but you have to find the biomass first. Morning / evening best. for shoreline action.

Find adult bunker and the cows are not far off, night time is the right time for adult bunker action in fall. Stage had a shoal of them last week.

If I wasn't working this weekend I would:

- search the sand eel infested areas on the bayside flats first, keeper country around the low tides (there are quite a few and they have been productive)

- search from Brewster to Barnstable for bunker biomass (lot-hopping) mid-ebb to mid-flood

- run the length of Nauset by 4x4 to make up for the short season c/o piping plover, fishing the great bowls we have this year

- invest at least one dawn low at big girl with a full shank deep eel in green to see if a late entry into the 40+ club is in order

- hike over the tub and stake out the Rosa Ragussa, either tide moving while flowing hard

Of course Pamet and the race might be hot, or maybe Dowses / Wianno and south cape beach for shore albies, or a lot of other possibilities not in the elbow area, but I would think the above would be productive.

JimW
09-19-2006, 12:58 PM
Consistent Sick Blitzes in my neck of the woods. Sometimes it just goes all day. Small to Medium (just shy of keeper) bass and blues of all sizes. Last Friday they were pushed right up on shore such that I needed a better than average cast (fishing from the boat). All fish were taken on pink sluggos:devil:

Wonder if I should go to Rhody or not? Tons of bait of all shapes and sizes. We came upon a pnut bait ball Sunday that was the size of a football field with nothing on them but that was slack high.

juro
09-19-2006, 01:29 PM
So that answers that question... most of our striped friends get yanked around by the bunker mass so the south shore seems to be holding the chow line right now... but it won't be long before the trend reverses and we'll see it all coming south.

right now some prospecting around Jimw's neck of the woods is sounding attractive...

jfbasser
09-19-2006, 01:37 PM
Jim, my reports from just South of your area a few weeks ago were that those beaches were lit up about a month earlier than the accepted standard from the past 5 years. Is that your take, also?

There are plenty of big fish around offshore evidenced by the tournament weigh-in this weekend in Dennis and the numerous comments about the release of substantially bigger fish to achieve the max 36 inch limit.

The tides have been anemic recently (within the past week) and even the small fish aren't so blitzful in the canal. There have been no reasonable concentrations of larger fish in the canal to speak of since the first week of June...

JimW
09-19-2006, 03:20 PM
Haven't made it down past mary ann rocks with limited time on the water. The all day blitz was observed from shore with the family - we got into it later that evening.

juro
09-19-2006, 03:27 PM
Realistically with all the 'high-octane' feed (as Capt Ray puts it) on the bayside north, I would doubt it would take more than two days to locate the motherlode.

Somewhere from Pamet to Linell Landing in Brewster (e.g. Skaket humps) the first morning, then Brewster to Bass Hole Chapin the afternoon should reveal a lot. Failing to locate in that stretch (which is not likely) then Barnstable to Sandwich must be holding them.

However with striperstripper thinking of Rhody, one has to wonder about the latter ;)

Guernseybass
09-19-2006, 05:39 PM
duxbury bay was lit up both thursday and friday from low tide up - birds were blitzing all day ( well from 12pm to 5pm) in two or three areas consistently.

the bass were being caught in 2ft of water, the channel was empty though . as i soon found out - when two guys fishing BEHIND me pulled out a 32" fish. :frown:

i moved back to the shallows and caught a few schoolies and a bluefish.

bait was everywhere, some of it moving downstream against the current which was odd.

went back yesterday and saw no bait or birds working. you could just feel the bay felt empty.

in regard to the Cape i think the fishing has dropped off because i was planning to hit N Monomoy on Thursday and Friday.

Mark.

Stevo
09-19-2006, 05:42 PM
Too bad Mark... Say hello to Silas for me will you! :smokin:

Guernseybass
09-19-2006, 05:43 PM
i would if had his mobile.......

juro
09-19-2006, 06:33 PM
bait was everywhere, some of it moving downstream against the current which was odd.

Bunker feed facing into the current. You might have noticed their flared gill plates. They are usually in transit when moving with the current. Often under pursuit too.

Several years back I experimented with flared gill plates on flies in fall and had great results. In fact the Esteys also used this feature with simple white cloth and had equally good results in the October season. Somewhere I have underwater photos emphasizing the pronounced visual that filter feeding menhaden creates in the water.

Sometimes the bunker can be seen feeding while getting blitzed at the same time - eating on the run.

Good to hear the bait is up there; it will be coming back thru shortly.

RayStachelek
09-19-2006, 08:07 PM
Hey I'm quoted! Now I feel important contributing the next buzz phrase of "06 season.

Thanks Juro.

Guernseybass
09-20-2006, 05:55 AM
thanks Juro - i figured that they may be migrating, it just looked odd.

I also wondered if the reason that bait was in the bay friday and not monday may have been due to Fridays NE wind keeping bait tight to the shore, whereas Mondays SW pushed it offshore ?

jimS
09-20-2006, 10:27 AM
Found the bait last night. Lots of big pogies, but there were other predators than bass slamming the bait - SEALS. Silas and I managed to hook several bass when the seals weren't present, but the big bass did not show. Another factor may have been the bio-luminesence. In was a light show of epic proportions. Pogies and other baitfish were litup.

The weather change today with cooler temps should jump start the fishery, and we can finally get into the fall mode.

Send thosae peanuts south from the North Shore.

Guernseybass
09-20-2006, 10:55 AM
Jim,

what are yours and Silas' plans for tomorrow and Friday ?

I would like to come down but will not be there until 9am .

mark.

Stevo
09-20-2006, 11:32 AM
Mark

Silas' mobile is out of credit so he is incommunicado. You could try contacting him through Jim though.

Oh, how I wish I was there! :frown:

basses
09-20-2006, 04:20 PM
Guernseybass. Check your pm's

Guernseybass
09-20-2006, 06:38 PM
PM'd you back .

mark.