Rhoddy Clave 2006 Plans [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Rhoddy Clave 2006 Plans

bonefishmon
09-18-2006, 04:47 PM
It's a little early to tell but Friday and Saturday look to be dry with wind coming out of the south for Friday night and into Saturday. A front may move in and bring a slight chance of rain for Sunday. Of course all this can change as the week progresses.

I need some help now that we are getting close. I've been swamped with work so my mind is not fully into the spectrum of where we stand for a meeting spot and on which days/nights. I am still waiting on reports closer to the dates so we can zero in on productive water.

Looks like we will have a night fishing division (sweeeeeeeet!) this year and for good reasons. Who would like to help form that aspect of the Clave?

The daytime division and meeting point will be posted later in the week for Friday and Saturday based on reports from the evening guys.

You can always reach me at 860-389-7598 for up to the moment statistics on Friday and Saturday. Let's get this thing off the ground pretty soon. I plan to cover the beaches on Saturday with new friend and Forum member Artb. I will be fishing Napatree Point at first light on Friday morning. I'll get a nap and then fish most of the night Friday night. I will not be fishing on Sunday unless calling out is justified by fantastic flyfishing opportunities.

Please....everyone chime in with their plans and we will get some teamwork established. We've got the interest......all we need now are <*)====={

Phil

artb
09-18-2006, 07:28 PM
Just heard from a friend. There is bass and blues around South County from Narragansett to Napatree. First and last light, Night fishing is good, Saturday I am still hoping to be around. I have to go to the hospital Frday for test I am going to be operated on Wednesday next week so this Saturday will be my last day for the year unfortunately. Just when the fishing is getting good.:frown:

bonefishmon
09-18-2006, 07:46 PM
Just heard from a friend. There is bass and blues around South County from Narragansett to Napatree. First and last light, Night fishing is good, Saturday I am still hoping to be around. I have to go to the hospital Frday for test I am going to be operated on Wednesday next week so this Saturday will be my last day for the year unfortunately. Just when the fishing is getting good.:frown:

Art. I have heard the same. Seems this southerly wind has turned things around a bit. I sure am glad you've found a doctor to help you with your back issue. With some faith and a good mend you will be up and at um like the fishing days old! I plan to spend the better part of Saturday with you if you so decide to come. If not, I know it's because your following the good doctor's orders before your operation to not overdo it. Watching you prance all about the jetty a few weeks ago was a sight to behold! Hope I can do that when I'm 78 years old. God speed on your recovery!!!!!!! We will all be thinking of you come Wednesday.

Phil

Adrian
09-18-2006, 10:14 PM
I might have something else on Saturday morning but right now I'm definite for Saturday evening/night and Sunday morning.

I'll know for definite tommorow evening.

striperstripper
09-19-2006, 02:29 PM
I am thinking of coming down to R.I. friday morning and staying over til saturday evening,where is everybody meeting,and who's doing the night shift?

FlyFishMich
09-19-2006, 03:14 PM
I'll be out there late Saturday but probably won't wet a line until Sunday AM, unless its the beach behind our rental house. If anyone will be around Sunday morning, then send me a PM so we can exchange cell numbers.

jfbasser
09-19-2006, 05:23 PM
I will be at my daughters in Warwick on Friday Nite to check out her cooking:confused: ....getting up early Sat am to check out a few spots to the South before breakfast:devil:

jared
09-20-2006, 09:19 AM
We'll be down early Sunday morning -- plan is to splash @ Stonington before first light, start at Napatree/Watch Hill and then decide where best to run. "Castalot" on 9, 16 & 68 -- or my cell phone for thems that has it.

-J

bonefishmon
09-20-2006, 04:15 PM
I am thinking of coming down to R.I. friday morning and staying over til saturday evening,where is everybody meeting,and who's doing the night shift?

Paul. Watch Hill, RI is about 2.5 to 3 hours from Chatham. Or, if you don't mind the couch.....half an hour from my house and the Shadhole is just down the street.
Grizz may be joining us as well. have not heard from him yet.

Phil

bonefishmon
09-20-2006, 04:27 PM
Friday is looking to be the better weather day for the weekend but Saturday and the front that's comingand the ensuing wind may be the better day for the fish.

Looking for a head count for Friday AM at First Light..... meeting in the parking lot at Napatree Point. We will head straight out to the point in search opportunities. Nothing happening there we will be on the inside near the houseboat dropoff and salt pond.

From there we will head to the Weekapaug Breechway and then on to Quonny Salt Pond. We anticipate a full day of fishing/searching so get pleanty of sleep the night before. A nighttime foray will follow for those capable. Surf and it's size will determine whether or not we fish the outside. Storm Helen is well out to sea but may throw some 6-8 footers at us.

Phil

jfbasser
09-20-2006, 04:46 PM
Phil, when will you be PMing the cell phone list?

bonefishmon
09-20-2006, 05:52 PM
Phil, when will you be PMing the cell phone list?

Later tonight.

bonefishmon
09-20-2006, 05:55 PM
The Thames River in Ct. is experiencing blitzes of major proportions up inside. The Sandy Point ...Napatree area is turning on thanks to the Pawcatuck River bait situation.

Phil

mikez
09-21-2006, 08:05 AM
What are you guys doing Sat night? Still planning on go to the same place as last year?
We will be doing dinner at Burlingame for those who choose to skip the bar room.
We have the unusual pleasure of hosting the Big Z, head of the Z clan. Having secured his buck early this year, he's gonna spend precious hunting time chasing fish in Rhody with us.
Right now we are hoping for a game dinner but the fish have to cooperate.
Anybody wants to join us, bring some kind of munchie and we'll make it pot luck.
also remember, Burlingame is alcohol free and well enforced.
Not trying to hijack the clave, just offering a family friendly alternative to the bar for those interested.
I'm skipping the Napatree quest. Been there, done that, too many times. The exertion to success ratio is not balanced enough for me. Sure a blitz on the beach can be red hot, but the walk out there becomes tedious if the fishing isn't really hot.
Depending on the albie bite we will start at WW, or if no albies show Friday we may start sat at watch hill in hopes of a keeper for the game dinner.
Watch hill is an excellent choice for a night foray BTW, very good potential for big bass. I'm considering making an assault friday night weather permiting. There is no charge to park if you arrive early or late when no one is guarding the lot.
I won't be checking the forum again so will not reply to messages or pms.
Flag me down on the water if you see us. Good luck!

JimW
09-21-2006, 08:43 AM
Sounds great Mike -

I'm also on the road in an hour or so. Plan to splash in N Kingstown on the way to Burlingame and check for these Bonito I've heard of invading the area. If I am extrememly lucky maybe we can add sashimi to the feast. We can always drop a shad for a keeper if need be.

Lefty
09-21-2006, 11:36 AM
Hey Jim,

Remember them Oct 28th Bonito? Aha...I'm a believer.

Adrian
09-22-2006, 04:22 AM
I should be arriving in SoCounty around 8:00 pm tommorow evening and I plan to fish hard tommorow night and Sunday :lildevl:

If anyone is interested in checking out the night bite tommorow let me know.

artb
09-22-2006, 04:54 AM
To all who will be at RI Clave tomorrow. I expect to get down around Weekapaug by seven AM. I will be driving a silver xterra. I will be going on the beaches from Watch Hill to Charlestown. I expect to stay all day, and will have my cell phone turned on. I will try to find where the concentration of fish are. I might on the way down get on the beach at Watch Hill and drive down as far as Weekapaug Breachway. For those that are going to fish at night you might try under the lights at the Andrea Motel at the western end of Misquamicut Beach, this sometimes gets hot as the lots attract bait and the bait attracts :roll: To all good luck, and hope to see you. Phil I will be looking for you, got something to give you. I will try to help all clavers as much as I can. I guess I am going to miss the Esty brothers see what marriage does to one.:hihi:

juro
09-22-2006, 05:48 AM
You guys are drivin me crazy with all this clave talk! Not used to having to miss one like this but I can not afford to miss a minute of work anymore.

I might possibly be able to break free Sunday in which case I will be calling a few numbers to try to hook up.

Here's a photo I took from Rhodyclave One which I meistered in 1999... yes Art, that's the Esteys ;)

I remember sitting down in the surf to get that up-looking angle against the Weekapaug sunset.

Phil, kudos on a fine job pulling this together - you have a lot of energy and it translates into exciting claves. Can't wait to see the reports and pics!

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/rhodyfest/rhodypics/juros/gregg-battle.jpg

bonefishmon
09-22-2006, 06:45 AM
Just got back from the reefs at 7:15 am with a friend of mine. Got two blues on the way in near the house of all places. Reefs were barren. Fish Hawk is on Napatree Point and I am heading back out in my friends Stage Point for some more recon. JimW is headed for Gardiners Is. in search of FA's with Sean Mc.

Phil

FlyFishMich
09-22-2006, 08:56 AM
Looks like the funny fish will be hard to find this weekend but hopefully this will get some bass in blues feeding in tight. Good luck to the guys fishing today and tomorrow, while I drive for 14 hours....taken from the NOAA website...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON HAS ISSUED A HIGH SURF
ADVISORY FOR THE SOUTH COAST...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS
EVENING TO 6 PM EDT SATURDAY.

SOUTHEAST SWELLS FROM DISTANT HURRICANE HELENE WERE AFFECTING THE
SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND COASTAL WATERS THIS MORNING WITH SWELLS UP TO 6
FEET OBSERVED EAST AND SOUTHEAST OF NANTUCKET.

THESE SWELLS WILL GRADUALLY BUILD TODAY AND WILL COMBINE WITH AN
ADDITIONAL WIND GENERATED WAVE COMPONENT TONIGHT AS SOUTHWEST WINDS
INCREASE TO 10 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS ARE FORECAST TO BUILD TO 5 TO 8
FEET TONIGHT SOUTH OF THE SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND COAST.

ON SATURDAY...SOUTHWEST WINDS WILL INCREASE TO 20 TO 30 KNOTS WITH A
FEW GALE FORCE GUSTS POSSIBLE. SEAS WILL INCREASE TO 7 TO 10 FEET.

bonefishmon
09-22-2006, 03:14 PM
Hey ArtB! Check your PM. Meet you in the morning....7am. <*)======={

Phil