Hatch Identification [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Hatch Identification

schmad19
09-18-2006, 10:30 AM
I was wondering if anyone uses or knows of a small, illustrated book I could carry with me to identify the local hatch while I am fisihing. I am relatively knew to flyfishing and I still have trouble matching the hatch. Thanks in advance for any good information.

teflon_jones
09-21-2006, 07:10 AM
Welcome to the forum! :)

I recommend "Hatch Guide For New England Streams" by Thomas Ames. Small and easy to carry with you, great pictures, and even though you're not in New England, it still covers the PA area very well too.

Dble Haul
09-21-2006, 08:35 AM
I would also recommend Art Flick's Streamside Guide. It's very thorough, and has had several revisions to keep it somewhat up to date.

Sean Juan
09-21-2006, 09:49 AM
I recommend a slightly different approach since you are somewhat new to the sport and want to keep it simple to start with.

Just reach out and grab one of those suckers.

Look at the bug in your hand and try to match it to what you have in your vest - if nothing seems to work bring it home to model for you as you tie.

The books mentioned are great, but probably more useful before you get to the stream then when you are on it (honestly how many of us tie on stream - doctor flies maybe.) In due time understanding insect behavior may become as fulfilling as actually fishing.

jhicks
09-21-2006, 03:00 PM
Thomas Ames JR's book is the best. I would highly recommend it if you are going to be doing some trout fishing in New England.

dewey
09-21-2006, 07:59 PM
I agree with Sean Juan. Knowing the latin name of a bug won't help you catch fish. Just match the size, color, and shape to what is in your flybox. Save the reading for your bedside table and try to learn how to identify these bugs from afar, their habits as adults and nymphs, and how you might best present a fly to look like one. Good luck!

schmad19
09-21-2006, 09:12 PM
To all of you who responded to my post. I appreciate the suggestions and I'm looking forward to honing my fly fishing skills!