intruder patterns and colours [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: intruder patterns and colours

square tail
09-17-2006, 02:39 PM
looking for any help for intruder patterns for northern british columbia first time going and any help would be appricatd with size and colour patterns.
thanks lots:confused:

juro
09-18-2006, 10:01 AM
Tie them dark, light and in-between. :)

Seriously, black, purple even some blue.

White with a peach/pink core, ghost shrimp colors always worked well for me.

In between are the oranges and reds, or the more subtle sedge colors (giant fall caddis).

Use the brighter patterns for high or cloudy water, and the black and/or lighter colors for clearer water. Low and clear means smaller and more subtle, high and muddy means brighter colors and sizes.

square tail
09-18-2006, 10:35 AM
juro thank you for your time and effort to answer my question on intruders this will help me lots with my tying and with any luck will hook some fish just purchased loomis 13' 7/8 weight and bauer 6 for trip thanks again:hihi:

jhicks
09-18-2006, 01:56 PM
Juro you nailed it on the head. Dark for clear bright for milky. The clearer the water the smaller. I like purple for dark and orange for bright.

juro
09-18-2006, 02:33 PM
I was lucky to fish with Ed Ward something like a decade ago when Andre had his co-worker cancel. Ed handed me this beast of a fly and told me to fish it. I thought he was crazy.

Just about when I was going to cut the monstrosity off and use one of my pretty spey flies the chrome demon of the Skagit depths pounced on the intruder and I was enlightened.