Texas coast in October? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Texas coast in October?

Tin Pusher
09-16-2006, 11:25 PM
I am considering exploring the Texas coastline near the end of October. The starting point would be Mcallen (near Brownsville) and I am looking for input and/or fishing partners. Answers to the usual questions are needed. Do I need a guide? Do I need a boat? Is it a safe area to rent a car and go off exploring? What areas should I be researching? etc...... If you live in the area or would like to give it a try let me know. I hate fishing alone but will do what I have to in order to visit a new part of the planet with a fly rod in hand.

Doug

striblue
09-17-2006, 09:20 PM
Check with a guy named Scott Sparrow... Texas Gulf coast guide and fly shop owner... he has submitted flies for my book and if you google him you will get the location and I am sure he and his wife will have inportant information...John

petevicar
09-18-2006, 04:27 AM
Hi Doug
I have fished the Laguna Madre area near South Padre Island for redfish.

I am not sure that it is that easy to fish without a guide.

I have a few names of guides. If you are interested send me a PM.

Pete

Tin Pusher
09-18-2006, 10:40 AM
Striblue, I found Scott Sparrow on the internet and am considering staying at their lodge.

Petevicar, PM sent.

Thanks

striblue
09-18-2006, 10:58 AM
You will have a great time and make sure you say hello form me....John

Tin Pusher
10-31-2006, 09:30 PM
There is nothing worse than a guy asking questions about a destination and then not getting back to the thread letting those who helped him know how he made out. Thanks for your help but unfortunately my plans fell through. Texas is still on my list of places to fish and I now have a head start with the advice I received here.

Thanks
Doug
:)