Deerfield River float [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Deerfield River float

shadfreak
09-14-2006, 08:10 AM
Yesterday I floated the Deerfield River from Fife Brook to just above the dry way with Harrison Anglers. Even though I have lived in the area almost all my life I had never fished this stretch of river. It is an absolutely beautiful place. The river winds down through a steep sided valley of tree- lined hillsides. It is going to be even more incredible when the leaves turn. The fishable water through here is almost endless. There are long deep pools, fast runs of broken water, pocket water, and everything else in between.

We saw an Osprey, a flock of Mergansers, and many other birds along the way. I can easily imagine seeing a bear or deer crossing the river at any time and except for one five minute stretch that we shared the river with some whitewater rafters we had the river to ourselves.

The fishing, well letís say if I could have hooked the fish that I had hit Iíd of had a banner day. I missed every hit I had except one fish that I broke off because of a frayed leader that I failed to check. We ended up catching two beautiful Rainbows and missing, well donít want to admit how many fish we missed. This float is worth the trip just to see the river and scenery with having some of the best trout fishing in New England as a bonus.

Larry aka Shadfreak

Adrian
09-14-2006, 09:01 AM
Nice Larry, sounds like a great day on the river.

I did my first float trip this year on the Housatonic and it was magic. Floating the river made me realized how little of the river I had ever seen.

jhicks
09-16-2006, 02:29 PM
I know some great holes on that river that would fish so much better from a boat. I really envy you guys.