Water in the Gaspe? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Water in the Gaspe?

Fontinalis
09-12-2006, 09:20 AM
I'm hitting the Petite Cascapedia on the 18th and 19th, and then heading out to the York and Dartmouth for 4-5 days.

I've been hearing ominous reports of extremely low water. Any news on these particular rivers, and how fishable they are?

My time on the Petite is on the public water, so those plans can be changed. York and Dartmouth are already booked.

Putting on my rain dancing shoes...

Cheers,
Troy

Earle Fletcher
09-12-2006, 11:19 AM
For the river water levels on many of the Gaspe rivers check out the following Quebec government website: www.cehq.gouv.qc.ca/suivihydro

Good luck!

Earle Fletcher

Salar-1
09-12-2006, 12:39 PM
Troy
The Matapedia,Ste Anne, Matane are REALLY low ! and I think the same situation exists for all around Gaspe. That being said , EXCELLENT Trout fishingcan be found on the previously mentioned rivers :cool: How does pods of 200 + fish in the 1.5 to 6 lb class sound ??If they gets any kind of rain the sh-t will really hit the fan as far as the Salmon fishing goes !
Cheers

billg
09-13-2006, 08:22 AM
Troy:

Water levels are low and the fishing is extremely difficult on the rivers. Even though you have reserved water for a couple of days you would probably be well advised to reconsider the trip for this season. On the Gaspe rivers the fish are all concerntrated in a few places and even the sought after 2 rod sectors like Big Fork, Mississipi, and Spruin on the York are unproductive for the most part. Things will change IF we get water but it is a roll of the dice at this point.

Bill Greiner

Venture
09-14-2006, 07:38 AM
Troy,

If the water levels stayed where they were from two weeks ago when I was on the Matane, you will find it extremely difficult to raise a fish. The last few days I spent on that river there were no fish caught for all the public permits purchased. That's a sad story, especially when many pools have fish, and some are filled with fish.

When I first arrived, the water levels were extremely low yet you could still, with much effort have "some" success. But as stated, the week progressed it got tougher and tougher. The river just needed to drop another inch or so to shut things down all together. If they have not gotten rain, or do not get some days of steady rain, you may experience the same thing.

It is raining steadily here in on Long Island NY (east coast) today, starting last night, and all day and into the night tonight. This system may hit the Gaspe and save your trip. As said prior, because the rivers are filled with the season's runs, a good rain perhaps can turn everything around.

From some previous posts on this forum, it sounds like some of the New Brunswick river systems are in better shape. You may want to try them instead of the public water on the Petite, and then go to the York for your reserved stint......hoping that the rain came or will come....... Good Luck.

Howie

jhicks
09-16-2006, 08:49 AM
Just returned from the Matapedia and yes it is very very low. Fished sector 3 very hard for three days and had narry a strike. My fishing partner did hook and fight a 30+lb hen for 15 minutes until she came unbottoned on Adams pool. The low water made for very tough fishing. I hope they get some rain soon.

mswsalar
09-16-2006, 03:38 PM
Although the Northwest and Little Southwest are on the low side they are full of fish and rain is forecast for early to mid week. I fished the Southwest below Blackville on Thursday night and managed two grilse and a salmon of 10 pounds. The water is just perfect on the Southwest and the cold nights helped the temp. If we get one inch of rain next week Iím heading back to the Northwest for three days then to the Cains for a day.
Pal