Rhoddy Clave Signup [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Rhoddy Clave Signup

bonefishmon
09-11-2006, 04:24 AM
The air is starting to chill and the blitzes should start materializing any moment if they havn't already.

It's time to start thinking seriously about the weekend of September 23rd. Saturday will be our full day to fish for most of us. I will be fishing both Friday and Saturday. Looking to get a full gathering, conga line style on the beaches, points and breachways of southeastern Rhode Island. You can camp at Burlingame or look for a motel on the web.

This thread will see how much interest has been generated.

Who's in?

Phil

FishHawk
09-11-2006, 06:50 AM
I'll be there and will bring my yak if the weather looks good. Might be down on Fri. but that depends on work. FishHawk

jfbasser
09-11-2006, 06:57 AM
Should be there Fri late afternoon and Sat morning....I have a benefit tournament to fish on that Sunday. BTW, just as last year good canal tides on that weekend..so if there are none found in Rhody you can always back-track to the Ditch:smokin:

Adrian
09-11-2006, 07:25 AM
I'll be there - timing depending on when I can escape from my desk ....

Smcdermott
09-11-2006, 08:22 AM
I will be around and will gladly pass along any info I have. I will not be able to attend any festivities though as I have friends in town on Friday to fish with me and a work dinner to attend with my wife on Saturday.

Sean

sean
09-11-2006, 10:40 AM
I will be out late night either fri or sat. Not much of a daytime fisherman but will be happy to pass any info I have to the daytime guys if it will help.

If there are any others who want to fish all night let me know.

-sean

Adrian
09-11-2006, 12:02 PM
Sean

I'll be fishing after dark also :smokin:

Slinger
09-11-2006, 12:37 PM
All plans are up in the air now, as I start a new job tomorrow. If all goes well and I get the boat back soon, you can count me in.
Slinger

Adrian
09-11-2006, 02:02 PM
Congrats' on the new Job Steve and good luck :smokin:

Quentin
09-12-2006, 09:50 PM
I'm still hoping to be there :cool: . I was planning on camping Fri - Mon or some portion thereof but it's still not definite. I should know in a day or two. If things work out right I'll be heading to the Cape this weekend and going from there to RI on Friday.

I won't have computer access once I depart for the Cape so I won't be able to participate in any last-minute planning. Phil, I'll PM my cell# so you can add me to the phone list.

Q

Quentin
09-12-2006, 10:19 PM
Sean

I'll be fishing after dark also :smokin:

Are you guys fishing from shore or yak? I'd like to do some night fishing but will be shorebound.

Q

Adrian
09-13-2006, 08:07 AM
Q

No problem, the night fishing spots are all shorebound. Looking at tides for Pt. Judith that w/e gives early evening incoming and outgoing overnight into the 'wee hours ' :smokin:

Final decision on location(s) once the weather pattern can be finalized.

I'll PM my cell number.

Friday 9/22

.....Low 2:15 am
.....High 8:24 am
.....Low 2:35 pm
.....High 8:40 pm

Saturday 9/23

.....Low 2:45 am
.....High 8:57 am
.....Low 3:12 pm
.....High 9:11 pm

Sunday 9/24

.....Low 3:16 am
.....High 9:30 am
.....Low 3:48 pm
.....High 9:44 pm

JimW
09-13-2006, 01:28 PM
Looks like night time is the right time for this clave. I dig fishing at night, used to do it a lot, not so much since the boat came along.
How about Albies - I'd think they would be around in a couple weeks, no interest in the speedsters.

artb
09-13-2006, 01:40 PM
I will get down there Saturday morning about daybreak at Weekapaug west parking lot. Hope to find out from friends where the fishing is the best, and what is where I can usually find out. Who ever comes I will do my best to get you into some fish. I don't know about Albies as I haven't seen any this year myself, of course though I only fish from the shore. If a couple don't mind the walk, the rocks at the end of Napatree is a real good bet this time of year, at least it has been every past year on the last weekend in September. I will take a couple of guys at a time and drive the beach from Watch Hill to Weekapaug, and from the Fire District Beach to the Westside of Quonochontaug Brechway, and from East Beach to Charlestown Breachway depending on sand conditions toward the breachway, or Blue Shutters to the rock which has produced some large bass in prior years, the name escapes me. I will give my cell phone no to the group who attend the Clave.:cool:

juro
09-13-2006, 01:47 PM
Looks like I will be working that weekend but will try to make a (big) detour to drop in and maybe fish at night with the nightcrawlers.

Can't afford to miss any work opportunities at all with the college bills :Eyecrazy:

Slinger
09-13-2006, 04:08 PM
For the rock hoppers in search of speedsters those morning tides are perfect at the breachways, the FA`s like to run up inside with the flooding tide.
Slinger

bonefishmon
09-13-2006, 04:35 PM
For the rock hoppers in search of speedsters those morning tides are perfect at the breachways, the FA`s like to run up inside with the flooding tide.
Slinger

Steve. If the boat isn't ready will you be joining us on foot this year? Hope you can make it.

Adrian. I am looking forward to a night time outing Friday night. May have to work on Sunday. Would you be willing to co-ordinate the evening fishing?

Art. Very kind of you to offer the beach buggy. That will be a big help scouting. I'd like to join you so please add me to your list of company for the day. You are fish finder extrodinaire!

For those that have not done so already please respond if you are coming so that we can get you point man info as the day unfolds.

All attending please email your cell phone numbers for the call tree. Those numbers will be kept private if you so wish. We may converge for pizza and suds as we did last year if the group so desires but we may be too busy fishing if the weather holds.

Phil

sean
09-14-2006, 06:49 AM
Friday should be good for a night I think at judith and an easy spot to meet at. We just gotta make sure all those than can come bring korkers if we do it. A nasty wading spot, probably the worst I have ever been on in new england, and for guys fishing flies they will need to get out there on the rocks for the best shot at the bass. The new moon so it should be good. Those of the plugging variety do not leave those rods at home...

Then from there I am usually do the bars like deep hole or carpenters towards the low but a spot you are going to get wet no matter what so maybe we should pick a beach or one of the salt ponds instead.

From the way things have been the past few nights this could be a little early for the all out fall blitzes but fish will be around.

-sean

Adrian
09-14-2006, 08:43 AM
Pt. Jude sounds like a good place to start - tons of parking - but Sean's right, corkers / cleats, headlight, spare torch etc. are an absolute necessity. That place takes no prisoners. Same holds for deephole/carpenters if you wade out onto the bars (aka the bowling balls).

Venuring a bit further North, there are a couple of other outgoing spots that are a bit more 'wade friendly' but will necessitate blindfolding/hooding on the way in and out .... :lildevl:

I'll be armed with flyrods and conventional stuff. This time of year the odds are you are probably going to have at least one 50lb bass within 200 feet of your rod tip, maybe more. So check those backing knots that haven't seen daylight all season, make up some new leaders (20lb min) and sharpen those hooks :smokin:

sean
09-14-2006, 09:06 AM
Venuring a bit further North, there are a couple of other outgoing spots that are a bit more 'wade friendly' but will necessitate blindfolding/hooding on the way in and out ....

Shhhh:smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

jfbasser
09-14-2006, 09:12 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmm:smokin: :devil:

FishHawk
09-14-2006, 03:40 PM
No rocks or korkers for me. I've gotten the meassage from Mother Nature. Three stiches in the skull and the only good thing was the Doc. being a flyfisherman didn't charge me for his time.:D So , this old Hawk will let the young bucks do the climbing. The FishHawk knows some spots for nighttime forays. :lildevl:

bonefishmon
09-14-2006, 05:04 PM
Friday should be good for a night I think at judith and an easy spot to meet at. We just gotta make sure all those than can come bring korkers if we do it. A nasty wading spot, probably the worst I have ever been on in new england, and for guys fishing flies they will need to get out there on the rocks for the best shot at the bass. The new moon so it should be good. Those of the plugging variety do not leave those rods at home...

Then from there I am usually do the bars like deep hole or carpenters towards the low but a spot you are going to get wet no matter what so maybe we should pick a beach or one of the salt ponds instead.

From the way things have been the past few nights this could be a little early for the all out fall blitzes but fish will be around.

-sean

Sean. I agree on the timing. The reefs have been slow but the inside areas of Mystic have been hot. Bait is holding inside but should bust out at any moment.
If need be we can shoot for the 30th as well. I surfed Matunuck years ago and it is a wet wading spot in the sense that if you do not have cleats you are best to wet wade in felts because you ARE going to get wet anyway. Best not to fill up the waders with water if and when you slip. Good news! Grizz may show up. If the Single Malt doesn't us the waves will! LOL!!!!!!!! Juro. Work all day.....fish all night! We know you've done it before. This is your big chance to get that that 50" fish.

Phil

bonefishmon
09-14-2006, 06:45 PM
So........for starters it looks like we have:

Artb: Beach scout
Adrian
Sean
FishHawk
Grizz
Slinger
Basser
Bonefishmon
JimW
Jared boat (scout)
Sean McDermott (hopeful for Sunday) boat (scout)

Did I miss anyone? Sure would like to hear from Chris and Drew.

Please PM me your cell phone numbers if you have not already.

Phil

Quentin
09-14-2006, 08:04 PM
. . . Did I miss anyone? . . .
Phil

I'm in for Fri-Sun and maybe Mon too :D

Q

bonefishmon
09-15-2006, 11:36 AM
Gotcha Quentin!

Phil

mikez
09-15-2006, 03:26 PM
Looks like i will be camping at Burlingame during the gathring. I'll have my posse of Jetty Apprentices [they think I'm calling them "Jedi" apprentices:hihi: ] . We will be planning meals at the camp and fishing west wall and weekapoug by day. Car hopping the many road accessable spots watching for birds if things are slow. Anybody in the area should stop by if you spot us. Should I be on the phone list in case i hit the mother load?
I noticed some interest in night fishing. I'm wondering how serious are people about an extreme night assault. I'm not talking wading the salt ponds catching 12 inchers. I mean climbing big slippery rocks in waist deep surf and hooking fish that can scare you, in the dark.
It's been awhile for me but at one time I stalked the South County jetties by night almost exclusively. i might be tempted to venture out if conditions look good. Any liked minded folks ought to catch up with me and we can compare notes.

Adrian
09-15-2006, 04:42 PM
Mike

LFRom what I read elsewhere the jetties have become extremely popular this season, even late at night - lots of combat reports.

Fortunately there are plenty of other boulders in RI :smokin:

I wouldn't rule out the beaches either - lets see what the weather does over the coming week before finalizing the strategy.

sean
09-15-2006, 04:50 PM
I noticed some interest in night fishing. I'm wondering how serious are people about an extreme night assault. I'm not talking wading the salt ponds catching 12 inchers. I mean climbing big slippery rocks in waist deep surf and hooking fish that can scare you, in the dark.
It's been awhile for me but at one time I stalked the South County jetties by night almost exclusively.

Depends what salt pond you fish , some have really big fish but I have been sworn to secrecy :) Big mistake to think they all have 12 inch bass.

I do the rock hopping and big surf stuff almost exclusively a few days a week but not any of the jetties so much. Prefer the rocks from nargansett on down to judith and the surf on the south shore.

I would prefer we do that and I just may depending on the group and willingness to do the slippery stuff and how the surf is. Like Adrian said there are plenty of places to fish that are easier to wade for people not comfortable in the big stuff or rocks. Proper gear is required though. We can always split up though and guys can move about and fish where they want.

The question really is...how serious are you:razz:

-sean

bonefishmon
09-15-2006, 06:41 PM
There are a handfull of serious fisherman I know that search for large fish and large fish only. They are usually heading for the car when most guys are still drinking their coffee on the way to the beach at first light. I hear stories all the time from nonfisherman out at night near the water. "Should have heard all the noise the bass were making while we were walking the beach at midnight!" Or the folks at the docks at a nearby resturant wishing they had packed a rod. Bass....big bass....are not afraid of herons and ospreys at night.

As Adrian said......let's wait and see.

Phil

JimW
09-15-2006, 06:44 PM
I'll be down there Thursday night, camping at Burlingame.
Rocks - too out of shape for that but I just read on another site the albies were around WH in chaseable numbers, hope it's true. I will relay our Friday AM results to Phil. My buddy Chuck and I will be fishing from the boat but in the past the action has been not so far from shore, a yak will get you in the action with very little paddling if you can launch in the surf. I'll have some surf gear in case we get blown out but, no slippery rocks for me, been there done that, got the bump on the head to prove it. The bass I can get up here, it's the 'noids I'm after.
Slinger - hows the boat coming along?

artb
09-16-2006, 05:57 AM
Not trying to be a wise guy, but the whole coast of RI has fish. This depends on what food is available for them, to keep them around. Over the years I have fished just about all of the RI coast and for one reason or another have in the last10 years or so concentrated on Westerly to Charlestown. This is not to say it is better than others but If you have a Clave and fishers are scattered across the state you are talking half hour or more to get together. Even from Westerly to Charlestown you are talking 10 miles of oceanfront. I could name many other areas that have large fish, one being the mouth of Narrow River. Parking at the bridge on Route 1. No large fish in the ponds? All of the ponds Pt Judith, Nimgret,Quonochontaug, and Winnapaug ponds have fish in the 20 to 30 lb class. Just a personal observation, remember Nimgret and Quonny have been dredged by the Corp of Engineers just about two years ago. The channel in the pond now is wide enough and deep enough that 30 footers are moving in and out with regularity. According to some reports the backend of Quonny has been producing good fish within the last couple of weeks. Just remember though," here today gone tomorrow." Next weekend should be good just about anywheres along the south coast. Boats do have a great advantage though, if they know the area. I like being able to drive right on the beach as everyone knows the fish move. If you see rocks on shore boats be careful as they usually extend out to sea.

mikez
09-16-2006, 06:34 AM
I guess when I say "jetties" I'm subconsciencously being deceptive. I don't chase the big stripers like I used to but certain old habits die hard. At least I no longer have to change the fly tied to my leader before carrying a fish to the car ["Whadya get em on?"]. Of course that might just be cause I don't carry any fish back to the car anymore.
I didn't actually participate much in the "combat" taking place nightly on the jetties. My style was more Special Forces, covert missions run in out of the way places where there were few witnesses.
It would have been more accurate to say I frequented certain rock piles and sea walls and a certain lighthouse I consider one of the best shore fishing spots in the Northeast.

Sean, I know at certain times of the year and certain bait availability big bass enter the ponds and channels but my experience has been that it is spotty, of short duration and unreliable. I would never plan a fish fry based on a trip to the ponds. If you know of a reliable spot, you do well to keep it secret.

Art's right - there should be fish all over the place. that's the beauty of the area. There are so many places to fish covering every inshore species and every style of fishing and all available to everyone - and with public parking!!!!!

GregD
09-17-2006, 08:54 PM
Hi Guys,

I am planning on getting down there thursday night or friday at the latest. I have to get back for Sunday and the boys football games. Brandon has hit the teen tunnel and fishin with Dad is no longer cool, just me and Josh will attend. I hope to get him into alot of fish and get some good pictures to show the oldest that he is truly missin out on a good time. Will see if the fish and weather co-operate.

Looking forward to seeing you all.

Greg.

bonefishmon
09-18-2006, 05:23 AM
My cell phone number is 860-389-7598. Those camping at Burlingame should expect a call from me Thursday or Friday night. I would like to visit and maybe take a nap there if all night fishing.

Weather is looking good at this point in time.

Greg and Josh........glad you can make it.

Phil

Chris
09-18-2006, 09:14 AM
Phil...
I'm not sure what I'm doing next weekend. I'd love to come down for one more bass outing but you're not going to get me out on the rocks in the dark, I can barely walk therse days as it is. No sense in tempting fate and finishing off the back for good.

If I decide to come down I'll be working the sand, maybe Napatree again. The rub is the LL fishing up at Big Eddy and the Roach is off the hook this time of year and it's always a toss up, 5 hours north or 5 hours south... HMMM.

Drew and I spent a couple of days this past week up on the West Branch and some other favorite spots in the great north woods and had a blast. It's actually the first time in a bunch of years we decided to go north instead of striper fishing. The wind and seas from the storm last week drove us off the ocean for tamer waters and we were pleasantly surprised.

I'm pretty sure Drew is heading back up to Big Eddy. I'll let you know in the next couple of days what I'm going to do. PM me if you think some arm twisting is in order.

BARDY
09-18-2006, 09:34 AM
Is anyone meeting up Friday night for some fishing. I am going to try and get down after work. IS there a plan for Saturday morning?
Brian

bonefishmon
09-18-2006, 03:58 PM
There is nothing firm on a meeting point just yet but I'm sure it will happen soon. Stay tuned and we'll get it figured out. Some of the guys will be fishing the Pt. Jude area. Some will be looking over the beaches from Watch Hill to Charlestown. Sean Mc will be scouting by boat this week with reports.

The CT/RI Club had an outing at first light on Qounny Pond and got nothing but snappers. They fished side by side though at the mouth of the channel so only one area was covered there. There have been reports of speedsters mixed with blues near the Thames in Ct..

Phil

bonefishmon
09-18-2006, 07:03 PM
I'm pretty sure Drew is heading back up to Big Eddy. I'll let you know in the next couple of days what I'm going to do. PM me if you think some arm twisting is in order.[/QUOTE]

Chris. Check your Personal Mail.

Phil