Middleside Patterns [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Middleside Patterns

jfbasser
09-10-2006, 05:35 PM
Some effective "patterns" that have been taking Stripers on the Middleside lately :smokin:

FredA
09-11-2006, 07:38 AM
Very nice. How many coats of epoxy did the top two require?

I will have to share my farside patterns sometime.

jfbasser
09-11-2006, 07:53 AM
Funny you should ask, the popper is all plastic and is the version that is tail weighted and sinks:devil:
You can sink it back to the fish if they miss or swim it just under the surface. I wonder if there is a fly paatern that does that? Good assignment for Penguin:)

The top pencil has a very poor paint job. I find that the plugs on the market with the best paint jobs fish and cast the poorest:cool:

Flies are the hollow fly flatwing with a lot of dashboard faded lime green bucktail and a mushy with a touch of lavender using the pre-blended flash.

jared
09-14-2006, 02:21 PM
How do you tie that round one on your tippet?

jfbasser
09-14-2006, 03:19 PM
Clinch knot to 40# tippet:devil:

jared
09-14-2006, 03:44 PM
ahhh....no wonder mine haven't held...I've been using
an improved "Pal-o-dime" knot on 9x. Can't wait to
try your suggestion!:tongue:

saltydog
09-17-2006, 01:49 PM
JFBASSER, nice lookin pencil. where did you find a PLASTIC ONE. Ive been using all WOOD ones. what OZ an lenth is it. would like to TRY a plastic.
GOOD LUCK GOOD PLUGGIN:smokin:

jfbasser
09-17-2006, 03:58 PM
Salty, the popper is plastic and is a Superstrike.. The pencil is wooden and is a Guppy/ Hess lure...A very good plastic pencil is the Cotten Cordell weighted with an extra 3/4 ounce of shot in the tail...drill a hole, put in the shot, and fill the hole with Goop.

saltydog
09-19-2006, 05:24 PM
JSBASSER,THANK YOU, never would have thought of Cotton Cordell for salt. will have to try some next season. I had GIBBS pencil that WOULDENT cast, it just flipping I had to CUT 1/8 of the back. an ran some soft lead around it trimmed the lead an repainted it worked so good. it got eaten up an is now swimming in the ATLANTIC hung on some fishs lip. another $22.00 bucks floating around for some one to find. thanks again,
GOOD LUCK GOOD PLUGGIN:smokin: