Salmon in da U.P.? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Salmon in da U.P.?

climbhoser
09-05-2006, 04:05 PM
Hi,

I'm new to Michigan having just moved to Marquette from Colorado and I was wondering what info I might be able to get here about fishing the Salmon in the U.P. on L. Superior rivers?

It's been tough for me to find info on the L. Superior salmon fishing, and I'm definitely eager to get on top of it this fall. Any tips help, especially which rivers are generally good (I don't need your hotspots, just rivers that generally HAVE salmon) and typical flies that work well with them (what best represents an Alwive?).

Well, hope to see you all out there and happy fishing.

thanks

wilson
09-05-2006, 08:17 PM
Pick up a copy of Fly Fishing for Great Lakes Steelhead from Rick and Jerry Kustich.

http://www.amazon.com/Fishing-Lakes-Steelhead-Jerry-Kustich/dp/B00033XVR8/sr=8-2/qid=1157501624/ref=sr_1_2/104-8055498-2911928?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods

It's a great account of the whole fishery and rivers. I fish the lakes a little to the south and the Alewife patterns we use are anything from chart/white clousers to Speys with white in them like Jones Specials (search this board).

I believe the St. Mary's has fish in it year round. You may want to Google some info on that.

-Chris

Bill Gass
09-08-2006, 08:13 PM
The St Mary's is a good place to start, the pinks should be in by now. All the Americans that I talked to fished it from the Canadian side. It's a good place to meet other fishermen and network.

Bill G.