MV baitfish [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: MV baitfish

ScottP
09-04-2006, 07:12 PM
First-timer - going to be fishing (shore, no boat) on Martha's Vineyard mid-Oct. Any information on what type of bait should be around would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Scott

juro
09-06-2006, 06:59 AM
The area bait consists primarily of:

- menhaden
- sand eels
- silversides
- anchovies

with other less prominent species:

- mullet
- mummichogs (prominent but less targeted)
- flounder
- crabs
- worms

For big fish:

- squid
- mackeral
- sea herring
- big bunker
- shad
- eels
- large crabs

and others I am leaving out.

Despite this potpourri, to target stripers, bluefish, bonito and albies (possibly skippies) you only really need to have a very good representation of the basics and the rest are less critical but of course fishing being "fishing" any odd fly can save the day.

My box would prioritize as follows (others may vary):

#1 striper fly - 6" sand eel, #2 - juvie bunker, #3 - 4" silverside (, poppers, etc)
#1 hardtail fly - epoxy silverside, #2 - anchovy, #3 - small sand eel (, others)

I don't target bluefish but they find me anyway.

If I had only one fly, it would be my tan deep eel. I have caught all of the above species on it (except skipjack).

Night fishing on the island is good, although I haven't done much of it. I would fish big and slow in the surfline or currents at inlets. With the appearance of adult bunker in the region a large bunker pattern might be a good bet to get towed around by a big bass for a while.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

RayStachelek
09-06-2006, 05:39 PM
Pay attention to Juro advise. Very concise and detailed.

Just a few additions -

Pay close attention to size of bait this time of year. Quite often all other size patterns get rejected.

Watch the bait carefully and see how its reacting around predators. Try to duplicate the movement. Some times you might have to switch lines to get it in the feeding zone or duplicate the movement.

ScottP
09-06-2006, 09:49 PM
Juro and Ray,

Thank you very much for the information. Starting to make the switch from freshwater to saltwater tying mode. I love tying this stuff but it takes a little while to adjust to working on a bigger canvas. I'll start with the sand eels first, just to get the fingers talking to each other again. I've got flies for albies that we used at Harker's Island, but figure some of the patterns I've seen on this site might work better. I also figure there's going to be a lot of dead chickens after we get done tying up some of the bigger flies. Skunk or no, I'll let you know how we do.

Regards,
Scott