Fly Fishing in Alaska [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fly Fishing in Alaska

augie1010
09-02-2006, 08:10 PM
Anyone have any experience fishing in Alaska?(fly fishing for trout and salmon).

What little I have fun out.. seems high$$ ??

Thanks

David

jhicks
09-03-2006, 09:13 AM
FFing in Alaska can be as expensive or as inexpensive as you want it to be. It all depends on the amount of footwork you want to do. If you have the green and just want to pack your bags and show up they will do everything for you. If you do some planning and research you can make it pretty cheaply in Alaska. There is a lot of public water and some pretty cheap campgrounds. Be advised that as of a couple weeks ago you were not allowed to tent camp on the Kenai, due to bears. Normally tent camping isn't a problem and it still may be allowed in some areas. If you stay away from some of the more well known rivers and lakes you will save money right there, and have a less crowded experience. Another thing is to go early or later in the year. Showing up end of July and expecting to save money and have a solitary experience fishing is going to be very difficult. Instead show up end of May first week of June. Or wait until end of August beginning of September. Above all don't be affraid to search out online resources and asking questions of people who have done it before.

Eric
09-05-2006, 04:33 PM
Jhicks nails it well.

Maybe you could give us some more specifics about just what kind of fishing you want to do, what kind of a budget you're on, and when you would most like to go, and we can fill in some of the blanks.

As I'm sure you know, Alaska is HUGE. It's so big and varied that you might say fishing Alaska is too vague and too general for anyone to offer helpful information
other than to refer you to a book that covers all the various regions.

I've fished "Alaska" for a decade. I can't wait to get back for my annual trip.

Let us know your specific thoughts and plans,

cheers,

-- Eric