Steelhead Fly of the week Brindle Bug [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Steelhead Fly of the week Brindle Bug

Charlie
08-31-2006, 07:51 AM
Professional fly tier Lloyd Silvius created this California pattern in the early 60s. It is considered a good summer and fall pattern on the rivers of northern California, especially the Klamath. This fly is sometimes classified as a nymph pattern.

Hook: Up eye salmon hook.
Tail: two brown hackle points.
Rib: Oval gold tinsel
Body: Variegated chenille, black and yellow.
Hackle: Brown.
Wing: two brown hackle points.
Head: Black

flytyer
09-04-2006, 07:20 PM
Charlie,

There used to be a fellow in Port Angeles, WA that had me tie them with an olive/black variegated chenile body with a shortened wing (the wing was half body length) for use in very low water in late summer and early fall. He also had me tie them with an orange/black variegated chenile body and the shortened wing for fishing in late September/early October for use when the October Caddis was out and about. With the shorter wing this fellow wanted, it looks a lot like the old salmon grubs.

I consider the BRINDLE BUG to be a cousin to the SILVER HILTON, as well as to the wingless BURLAP and Bob Arnold's SPADE.

juro
09-06-2006, 05:00 AM
I used to fish a similar tie using furnace hackle for the wing and collar on a brown variegated chenille with good results. Nice job Charlie, brings back memories of my steelhead bum days.

Charlie
09-06-2006, 10:11 AM
Interesting point gentlemen, I never gave a great deal of thought on the variations that can be achieved with this fly. You could easily tailor the dressing of this fly to a local river and not have it look much different than the original.

Charlie