My First Set Up [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: My First Set Up

LSU-Fan
08-30-2006, 09:00 PM
Tell me what you guys think. This is for inshore saltwater (Redfish, seatrout, flounder, the occasional spanish and Jack, and Sheepshead). --I went in to check out a sale the guy at the local fly shop was running, and decided to pick up a Sage VPS 9' 8wt at a very reasonable price. I was just getting the rod (planning on getting the reel later after saving some more). I had been frequenting the shop so the guy new me ok. Anyway, he threw in one of his Demo Orvis Battenkil Discs for FREEl, with backing and a line so I could use it for the next couple of months while saving. Talk about EXCITED!!!:D :biggrin: He just got a customer for life and I have been casting in my backyard constantly.

My questions are 1) What do you think of the Sage VPS and 2) What is a good reel to balance it out?

Here is what I am Looking at: Orvis Battenkill MA; Lamson Velocity; Teton Magnum; and Old Florida SA.

I 've already decided on SA Saltwater Mastery Redfish Line. Just wanted some opinions, I think this was great of the guy at the fly shop.

Brian

Swalt
08-31-2006, 07:54 AM
Out of the reels you listed I would get the Old Florida. Take a look at the Sage 2580 also.