The Blue Planet... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: The Blue Planet...

jimS
08-29-2006, 06:30 AM
a series of DVDs on the Sea of Life. It is a brilliant and captivating series on our oceans that is a must view. "If there was a Nobel Prize for wildlife viewing, these producers would get it," according to the Wall Street Journal. It is a four-part series detailing tidal seas/coasts, open ocean, coral seas, etc. Produced jointly by the BBC/Discovery Channel, it is narrated by David Attenborough.

Thank you Basser for putting me on to the series. I ordered it thru Amazon.

juro
08-29-2006, 06:33 AM
Jim,

First off thanks for the recommendation for "the Fishermans Ocean". I have it right here on my desk and it's a great resource.

I've seen some of the Blue Planet while it was aired, but to own the DVD and really absorb it (I kept missing parts) is a great idea!

wrke
08-29-2006, 07:49 AM
Jim
Thanks for the great suggestion. All four are now queued up on Netflix.
Bill

neastfly
09-15-2006, 03:15 PM
Open oceans segment is spectacular from a saltwater fly fishers perspective. A school of baitfish gets torn apart by a striped marlin. There is an incredible shot of a wounded fish swimming towards the camera and then the marlin appears and finishes him off. Just as the school regroups there are blurs crashing through the school - tuna. Almost makes you feel bad for baitfish.

BigDave
09-15-2006, 03:36 PM
They are very cool DVDs. The footage is spectacular but some of the sound effects are a little hokey.

Just what the doctor ordered when the winter doldrums set in. I love the scene with the whale taking out the (entire) bait ball.

jamie
09-19-2006, 08:44 AM
There is a great glossy books which accompanies the series. Well worth a look.