Fatback style tubes [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fatback style tubes

08-28-2006, 08:03 PM
Been searching my links and magazines but I can't find any patterns of fatbacks with tying instructions. Anyone have any URLs or mag references?

08-29-2006, 06:36 AM
OK Peter, please clue me in...

'fatback' tubes?

08-29-2006, 08:07 AM

The fatback style tubes are also called temple dogs and are a European style of fly. They are characterized by a wing sitting very high over the back of the fly. The fly below is one of my early attempts at the style.


Check your PMs


08-29-2006, 08:16 AM
Thanks Charlie!

Well I guess I've been tying fatback tube flies for years then and I didn't even know it! Very appropriate name, the backs are high and 'fat'.

My most common application of winged tube flies has been coho salmon flies fished in the saltchuck mostly on the Straits off the north coast of the Olympic Peninsula west to Neah Bay and north to the Vancouver Island coastline, Swiftsure Bank, etc.

I was not aware of a difference between the tubes I would use for tube flies in the round verses with a wing per a traditional style salmon or steelhead fly. Using the wing material and hook holder the opposing keel and wing held the fly in the proper upright position.

08-29-2006, 09:35 AM
I guess these might, inadvertently or otherwise, qualify as...
phatback mutants?!

08-29-2006, 10:39 AM
Pete -

Tie those up in 14" size and let's meet Phil down in Shad Hole :cool: