Shad Hole Report [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Shad Hole Report

bonefishmon
08-28-2006, 07:27 PM
7:45pm Monday night. Strong drizzle.....dead low tide.....light NE Breeze.......light fog....perfect conditions. Scouting mission.....Hickory Shad. Tiny Bay Anchovie colored deceiver. Eight weight Scott STS.

First cast......fish on. A juvenile Hickory Shad in the 10" range. Two jumps......BIG trouble. Big bass appeared out of nowhere! Managed to cuda style strip the shad back to the rock dropoff under my feet so I could get a look at it. While it was suspended below, many....many... very long shapes appeared......circling......swiping..........slapp ing with their tails. A few lifetime bests right under my nose! One grabbed it......I yanked it back. Carnage ensued as bass after bass grew infuriated at the easy meal that darted back and forth to flee the endless attempts at being swallowed. Uh......ohhhhhhh! Backing.
Too much.....too fast. Put the brakes on. Fish fed. #8 hook.....nonstainless... no barb but I'm not happy about leaving it in the fish.

Tried numerous flies. None big enough. All refused. Big flies were left home waiting for the purchase of an 11 wieght with a fore grip. Perhaps by springtime if I'm lucky. What a dilema. Big fish wrong tools.

Phil

juro
08-29-2006, 06:38 AM
Phil...

if things go well this week at the dayjob I will try to sneak down to kick off my labor day weekend... will know tomorrow / thurs

thanks for the aNxiEty aTtaCk!!! :)

striperstripper
08-29-2006, 04:01 PM
Come on Phil go for it with the 8 wt. Throw on a 4 ft leader of 50 lb test and hang on .It can be done,push the envelope my friend.I gaurantee if you can make it through the fist two runs your home free ,just walk that dog home.:hihi: :hihi: :chuckle:

bonefishmon
08-29-2006, 04:30 PM
Come on Phil go for it with the 8 wt. Throw on a 4 ft leader of 50 lb test and hang on .It can be done,push the envelope my friend.I gaurantee if you can make it through the fist two runs your home free ,just walk that dog home.:hihi: :hihi: :chuckle:

This is not a dog we're talking about here. More like a calf that walks me! Over rocks! Big rocks. Broke a ten weight last year that was not waranteed trying to walk one of these dogs. Tried my 9# Loomis Nautikos last year. Lost two lines to the rocks. These beasts need to be spanked hard and fast.

Phil

Dble Haul
08-30-2006, 07:47 AM
These beasts need to be spanked hard and fast.

Yes, they do. :lildevl:

Striper
09-04-2006, 11:59 PM
Phil,
I was at the shad hole today and scarfed up several unwilling participants. They were unceremoniously fed to a 42, 40, and 42 in that order. You are right they are beasts and an 8 wt. would be like trying to land em' with a toothpick :hihi: I waved the wand earlier in the day to no avail and finally decided that if I were to go home with anything worth talking about I was going to have to feed them some gourmet food and not Jenny Craig. They liked it.....:D And so did I salvaged the day in a big way. On another note NO I repeat NO tunoid type creatures anywhere in the eastern end of the pond.

quinn_canfield
09-05-2006, 01:34 PM
Guys,
Are you will to tell this small, friendly community where this place is?

I promise I will not fish there.... :chuckle:

Thanks,
Quinn

Striper
09-05-2006, 02:25 PM
Mystic CT. is the place but unless you have intimate knowledge of the area I would not recommend fishing there without hooking up with Bonefishmon first. It is a large marina with many large boats coming and going and unless you know where to go you will drive yourself nuts. It by the way is not a secret spot and many people know about the shad population, just many don't bother to fish the resident fish that are always around feeding on the abundant bait source. There are also resident "pets" that I would not advise you fishing for as the locals where I run my boat will get bent out of shape real fast if they see you catching their fish.

GregD
09-08-2006, 09:01 AM
Hi Phil,

I'll be fishing off my Kayak with a newbie around mystic tonight. Looking forward to a full moon and hopefully active fish feeding tonight. Perhaps I can hook up with you to test out my Atlantis and big flies on some of those fish. I'll be in a yellow prowler with my cohort in an orange prowler. I'm new to the area so not sure the best access points, sent you a PM.

Tight lines,
Greg.

bonefishmon
09-09-2006, 06:42 AM
Greg. Sorry we didn't hook up last night. Please give us a report when you get a chance. Seems to me that the forage fish maybe further up in the river. This may be a good week to concentrate on the salt ponds in RI. I saw a load of bait fish coming out on the drop.

Phil

GregD
09-09-2006, 12:33 PM
Hi Phil,

It was a beautiful night last night to be out on the water. Got into the fish right away. Your'e right about where the bait fish were, very fishy. You could smell the bunker in the air and the fish were plentiful. Thanks for the info on where to launch, very nice spot. I will be back and hopefully we can hook up then. Met some other nice fellas that were out Kayak fishin. Apparently there are there every friday and saturday night. I'll have to ask you sometime about camping around there, driving home early in the morning after working all day and late night fishing it's tough to stay awake.

Thanks,
Greg.

bonefishmon
09-14-2006, 05:02 AM
Hi Phil,

It was a beautiful night last night to be out on the water. Got into the fish right away. Your'e right about where the bait fish were, very fishy. You could smell the bunker in the air and the fish were plentiful. Thanks for the info on where to launch, very nice spot. I will be back and hopefully we can hook up then. Met some other nice fellas that were out Kayak fishin. Apparently there are there every friday and saturday night. I'll have to ask you sometime about camping around there, driving home early in the morning after working all day and late night fishing it's tough to stay awake.

Thanks,
Greg.

There is a KOA at the end of Rt.27 in Old Mystic........or my couch! LOL! Happy to hear you found the evening you were looking for. Did you jump any shad?

Phil

mcurtiss
09-14-2006, 07:21 AM
great thread! I'm new to flies in the salt (as well as to this website), so I'm glad to find a resource such as this.

bonefishmon
09-14-2006, 05:24 PM
great thread! I'm new to flies in the salt (as well as to this website), so I'm glad to find a resource such as this.

Welcome aboard McCurtis! Please fill us in as to your needs and we will try and fulfill them. Join us for the Rhoddy Clave if you can. What better way to introduce yourself. I will supply a rod reel and flies if need be. Where do you hail from?

Phil

mcurtiss
09-14-2006, 05:48 PM
Welcome aboard McCurtis! Please fill us in as to your needs and we will try and fulfill them. Join us for the Rhoddy Clave if you can. What better way to introduce yourself. I will supply a rod reel and flies if need be. Where do you hail from?

Phil

thanks phil. i'm currently getting ready to order an outfit from burleson sporting and i've tied a few salty flies already. my boat is based near noank village boatyard, and we live in mystic. i'm itching to start but not quite there yet. :Eyecrazy:

i'd like to get more involved in the claves and such. my wife and i both grew up in the mystic area, so now that we've moved home (finally) we're looking to get active in stuff we enjoy.

thanks for the welcome.

GregD
09-15-2006, 08:16 AM
Hi Phil,

We didn't find any shad, we got there pretty late after work and getting everything together. Didn't get out on the water till 10:30. Hit fish practically at the launch site. By the time we got to shad hole it was close to midnight.
Not sure I was fishing the area correctly either. Headed back to where the bunker were holding and fished there. Great night for a paddle and some expploring though.

Thinking of heading out again tonight or tomorrow night for round 2.

Greg.

bonefishmon
09-15-2006, 08:42 AM
Hi Phil,

We didn't find any shad, we got there pretty late after work and getting everything together. Didn't get out on the water till 10:30. Hit fish practically at the launch site. By the time we got to shad hole it was close to midnight.
Not sure I was fishing the area correctly either. Headed back to where the bunker were holding and fished there. Great night for a paddle and some expploring though.

Thinking of heading out again tonight or tomorrow night for round 2.

Greg.

let me know when you decide. Fishing is still pretty much an inside thing just so you know. Head around the west side of the island. There was a lot of acitivity there after dark last week. That is the main stem of the river.

Phil

Phil

GregD
09-15-2006, 09:19 AM
Hi Phil,

I'll let you know when I decide, lot's on my plate on the moment.

I'm also tempted to bring my power boat down there if it's during the weekend, I can cover more ground. Need to pick up some charts though, found there are some shallows and not anxious to loose the lower unit on some of those rocks.

What's the best boat ramp to use in the area? Mystic River ramp? or should I just run from Barn hill over?

I also over heard some guy getting hassled about having a Connecticut boat operators license, I assume that applies only to CT boat owners?

I also have found getting a CT fishing license a real pain for out of staters, nobody carries them. They say I have to go to the local town Hall to buy one, a real pain.

Greg.

mcurtiss
09-15-2006, 01:00 PM
hey greg, here's a site to search for boat ramps: http://www.lisrc.uconn.edu/coastalaccess/searchtown.asp

GregD
09-15-2006, 01:25 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the link... I'll check it out.

So far I haven't found much that compares with the Barn hill ramp.

Greg.