your choice of reel? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: your choice of reel?

tie-dye-fly-guy
08-28-2006, 01:01 AM
what would you put on a sage txl double ought? im still thinking and need input. current musing is abel creek 1 with brookie anodizing. any other suggestions?
asthetics and balance weigh more than price in this current venture

juro
08-28-2006, 08:10 AM
That would be interesting. An old hardy in prime shape also comes to mind if you are a click-pawl fan. The trout sizes are often available on auction sites and not expensive. It's the spey-szed that are an arm and leg.

FlyMan
08-28-2006, 09:53 PM
I think your thoughts of the Able with the Brook trout graphics would look great with the TXL.

I was given that exact reel in a 3 weight model from my family last Christmas for a 3 wgt rod I built.

I have casted the TXL's and they're great little rods. The color of them will look really nice with the Brook graphics on the Able.

zugbugz
08-29-2006, 02:21 PM
:confused: Unless you just MUST have a large arbor (and the Abel Creek is certainly a fine one), take a look at the Islander IR1. Its a beautiful, very nicely machined, standard arbor click and pawl reel (with an adjustable knob with 5 adjustable stops) and can be had in black or gold. The reels are Canadian made and are one of the truly high quality click and pawl reels worth considering (along with the Abels and Hardys). The only real caveat is the only place I've seen them sold is online, so its really tough to get your hands on one to check out. I do own one and a spare spool and am really happy with the quality and aesthetics (it's mounted on a TXL 3 wt, 7', 3 piece rod) and it looks great on the TXL...mine is gold. I normally support my local fly shops, but this was one of those occasions when I had to go online. You can PM me if interested and need a source. Great reel!

Don

Zugbugz - Arizona

Eddie
08-30-2006, 08:35 AM
I would avoid the really small reels. The waterworks reels would be a good choice. Old Hardys and Orvis CFO (maybe the III). The Sage reels (w/o the disc drag) would be excellent as well. The thing to remember is that the rods and lines are light, but that doesn't mean that the reel should be tiny or ultra light.

chromer
08-30-2006, 09:02 AM
any reason or just opinion?

our reason out this way is steelhead in the trout water :)

tie-dye-fly-guy
09-05-2006, 12:58 AM
will go for abel creek in brookie anodize. will buy from fellow forum member. thanks for imput