Which 3wt? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Which 3wt?

wiggy
08-27-2006, 01:42 AM
I'm in the market for a new 3wt 4pc. I've narrowed the field down to either a Sage Launch or a TFO Pro.

I really don't know which one to buy. I have a TFO pro 6wt, and I'm very happy with that, but have heard many great things about the Launch. Decisions, decisions!

Can anyone help me out?

nmbrowncom
08-27-2006, 06:19 PM
depending upon where you're fishing you may want to consider the sage vps light. i'm in massachusetts where the streams tend to be small. the 3 piece is not long since the rod i use is 7' 9". not the best for nymphing but plenty for both wet and dry fly. in my opinion it is one of the best casting rods i have ever used, and it is relatively inexpensive. it is made form the blank of sage's prior and more expensive top end rod.

wiggy
08-28-2006, 12:39 AM
I'm definately going for a rod around the 8'6"-9' area due to the areas where I fish (med-large rivers and lakes), but really want a lighter rod that is also easy to pack into a suitcase.

But thanks for your input.

juro
08-28-2006, 07:03 AM
I had a 7'9" 3wt Sage for a summer (a demo when I worked at a shop) and can second that recommendation for others fishing streams. What a sweet little rod, especially if you like to roll cast in tight spots, it also responds well to single hand Spey casting. Throws and easy overhead loop as well, I fished a DT most of the time on it since I was not shooting for distance with it very often.

I have a 5wt RPL (original) that I put a WF on in 8'6". Blows out 100' casts when needed although I rarely cast over 85-90ft on stillwater and only when conditions require / allow. I would say a 9 ft might be nicer on a float tube but the 8'6" is going to make it that much easier in small streams and tight banks.

Which have you tried at flyshops so far?

wiggy
08-29-2006, 05:23 AM
I've narrowed the search now down to either a TFO Pro, Sage Launch or VT2 all 4 pc and 8'6". I haven't been able to try any over the rods so far unfortunately, but from prior experience, I know a med-fast to medium rod from either sage or tfo suits med perfectly. The fast actioned or full flex rods are not my cup of tea.

So basically I need peoples views on which one I should buy and why......

hmaadd
08-29-2006, 02:08 PM
winston ibis if they make a 3wt would be a great choice I've got a 4wt and it rocks

Spock
08-29-2006, 03:45 PM
you cant go wrong with a SAGE ROD the VT2 rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!