Steelhead Fly of the week Deep Purple Spey [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Steelhead Fly of the week Deep Purple Spey

Charlie
08-24-2006, 04:04 PM
The inventor of this fly is Walt Johnson, originally from Arlington, Washington. Johnson credits Ken McLeod with introducing the color purple to steelhead fly fishing and he credits Syd Glasso with inspiring this fly. But Johnson is a tremendously respected steelhead fly tying innovator in his own right and has come up with many flies that are know north west standards.

Hook: Up eye salmon hook.
Tag: Flat silver tinsel, short
Rib: Flat silver tinsel
Body: Purple seal type dubbing .
Body Hackle: Pheasant rump palmerd over front of body.
Hackle: Purple hackle.
Wing: Two red golden Pheasant body feathers back to back.
Head: Black

jhicks
08-24-2006, 04:21 PM
great pattern for the Hoh winters

mike beliveau
08-25-2006, 07:12 PM
CHARLIE check out steelheadsite.com -about ny unprecedented nat repro on the SALMON RIVER

flytyer
08-25-2006, 11:53 PM
Charlie-

This is one of the very few PNW spey flies that I tie from #1.5 AJ hooks down to #7 AJ hooks. As Walt Johnson put it, "It is a spey fly that uses the colors of McLeod's Purple Peril. It is effective all year round here in WA.

Unfortunately, Walt is no longer with us. He died a few years back. However, George McLeod is still among us and he still gets out and wets a line for summer runs using the flies he and his dad Ken originated.

Don't know if you know this or not; but Ken didn't tie flies that I'm aware of, he left that to George. And George has told me his daughter is the real tyer in the family.

Nooksack Mac
08-27-2006, 04:26 PM
The Deep Purple Spey, aside from its intrinsic virtues, is an excellent introductory pattern for tyers who are intimidated by the complexities of spey patterns. Its pheasant spey hackle is easily obtainable, and its wings are easily positioned.

And it's a fine choice for a semi-bright pattern, when you want to show the steelhead proven, eye-catching colors, but don't want to overwhelm them with someting too gaudy or flashy.