Portland Maine Sept Stripers [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Portland Maine Sept Stripers

crazyhorse
08-22-2006, 03:14 PM
Hello
I will be in the Portland Maine area the month of September and could use any advise
on what flies work at that time and areas to fish, also any tackle shops that could help me with information.
Thanks and tight lines

Dble Haul
08-22-2006, 03:42 PM
For information, you can't beat the Eldridge Brothers shop (do a google search for contact info).

September is a great month to fish that area of Maine. There's wade fishing available from Kittery all the way up to Bath, but in the area of Portland I would concentrate on Freeport (in particular Winslow Park, where the Cousins and Harraseeket Rivers come into Casco Bay) and the beaches just to the south of Portland in Scarborough, Cape Elizabeth, Old Orchard, and Saco.

Time of day is less important for Maine stripers in September, but the best fishing is still between dusk and dawn. The fish are schooling up and chowing down before the migration south, although there is a growing body of evidence that many stripers are residents of the Kennebec River and don't migrate at all.

PM me if you want more particulars, and good luck.

titleguy
08-22-2006, 03:58 PM
Biggest fly caught striper of my life (42") was caught at Kettle Cove in Cape Elizabeth. September is the silly season around Portland, espeially if the bait is like it was in '03 and '04 ( last year was slow). Another very good resource, like they'll tell exactly where to go and what to use, is The Tackle Shop on India Street in Portland. Ferry Beach in Scarborough, Higgins Beach in Scarborough, the afore-metioned Kettle Cove in Cape Elizabeth, Two Lights in Cape Elizabeth are all within 20 min. of downtown Portland. When I wor down there, i fish every night. Check your tides for your visit, at Ferry Beach/Scarborough River two hours into the outgoing combined with low light, wahooo! One of the places that i ahve found blacks flies in lowlight to really be effective also. Send me a PM when you're going to be around, I'll see if I can get down there ( maybe with a boat):biggrin: