Which Sage 7 wt? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Which Sage 7 wt?

dewey
08-20-2006, 09:05 PM
I've decided to pull the trigger on a 7 wt - almost certainly from sage. I can't get any clue except for general things about the differences between models from their website, and I won't be able to cast any around here.
So -- XP, Xi2, TCR? I was thinking XP because of dollars and they have a 9'6", but I really dunno. I just want a work horse 7wt to cover my smallmouth and pike fishing (mostly from a canoe), and be pretty good for an occasional trip for big landlocks, lake-run trout, etc. Might get some use on schoolies, too. Would extra length be a good idea?
Anyone who knows about these things, please chime in. My casting stroke is pretty versatile - I tend to adjust to the rod I'm fishing. Looking for quality, durability, and good "feel", as in being able to sense the stages of the cast.
Thanks for your help.

odi3
08-21-2006, 09:55 AM
The XP being discontinued so many online retailers are selling them for discounted prices, usually about 30% off.

As far as the TCR goes, i have read it is more of a distance rod only (competitions and such), i dont think its for general use like the XP.

The XI2 is a specialty rod for for salt water, if you intend to fish in the ocean maybe this is a better choice.

zugbugz
08-21-2006, 07:20 PM
Dewey, I'd take a look at the VT2 rods as well...don't think they're available in 9'6" however. I personally believe the 9 footer is the best choice overall. As for the XP, it's a great rod and a deal right now, but I think the VT2 will give you more of the casting "feel" you are looking for and its a bit less money than you can find the XP for at the moment. It's quite a powerful rod, but with a more flexible action than the XP. Cast one, my guess is you will like it! Bonus - blue finish similar (lighter blue) to the Xi2...:D

Zugbugz - Arizona

zugbugz
08-21-2006, 07:34 PM
Dewey, I was wrong...Sage DOES have a 7 weight, 9'6" VT2.:wink:

Zugbugz - Arizona