Housy Pike 8/19/06 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Housy Pike 8/19/06

Quentin
08-19-2006, 06:31 PM
This guy was about 26" or so. Had a few cartwheel hits and misses but couldn't get them to do it a second time while the camera was rolling.

Quentin
08-19-2006, 06:32 PM
this was just before the other 2 pics

flyjkol
08-20-2006, 02:30 AM
Big fish cartwheeling have often haunted my dreams... :wink:

teflon_jones
08-20-2006, 09:02 AM
What kind of fly were you using?

juro
08-20-2006, 09:03 AM
Q -

tell us more! What was the sequence of events...

Quentin
08-20-2006, 04:33 PM
It was a nice fish but not braggin' size by any means. I was just testing my new video system so I posted a few vid caps :D .

I was casting a white foam diver with green legs (the refurbished fly from the Used, abused and renewed (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=23655) thread) and I'd had a couple of nice pike make airborne cartwheel attacks but miss the fly on the first cast. I tried taking videos of the second casts (and third and fourth . . ) hoping to get a pike attack on video but it didn't work out. One of them did come back for seconds but it turned away before hitting the fly and the fish didn't show up on the video. This fish got hooked on the first hit so I recorded part of the battle just to see how it would come out. The fish never jumped but charged deep around the front of the boat. It got its head down and put a nice bend in the 7wt, then came up to the surface and charged at the boat, kicking up a nice rooster-tail as I tried to keep it from going under the boat. We tussled for another 20 seconds or so and I shut the video off so I could land & release the fish.

BTW, my "system" is to put my digital camera on a mini tripod, start the video mode, and hold the legs of the tripod in my teeth while I shoot the video :hihi: . The camera points in the direction that I'm facing and I can see the monitor well enough to have some idea of what I'm recording.

Q

Adrian
08-20-2006, 07:37 PM
Brilliant Q.:D

I've been wanting to get up to the Housie for a warmwater kayak outing but every time the water levels look good, along comes another thunderstorm and we go up over 1000cfs :frown:

There's some good pike water above Falls Village that I hope to get to before it cools down too much.