Shopping For Gear In Beijing [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Shopping For Gear In Beijing

Smolt
08-16-2006, 04:16 PM
I have a friend who will be spending a week in Beijing at the end of the month. Since so much of the gear we purchase here in the US is made in China -- especially wading shoes and waders -- I thought I would ask her to look around for some bargains. The problem is that I do not know where to suggest that she start looking.

If any of you have firsthand experience with shopping for fly fishing gear in Beijing, I would appreciate any info and advice you have to offer. I am particularly interested in breathable waders for her since we have a fishing trip planned for the end of September and she does not have a pair.

BTW, she speaks Chinese, so language will not be a barrier.

Again, any help would be appreciated.

Adrian
08-16-2006, 05:00 PM
Not sure if fly fishing has much retail demand in mainland China but you never know.

Plenty of factories but no fly shops?

I think Mark (DbleHaul) was out there a year or so ago......

Dble Haul
08-17-2006, 07:56 AM
I spent a few weeks in Beijing back in 2003 (time flies), and I cannot remember anything even closely resembling outdoor sporting goods stores over there. Plenty of clothing, jewelry, fashion and the like, and plenty of team sports gear, but nothing in the way of hunting or fishing.

Of course that doesn't mean that it's not over there. It just means that you'll have to look harder. Try googling key words like China, fishing, retail, etc.