Rhoddyfest 2006 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Rhoddyfest 2006

bonefishmon
08-11-2006, 08:05 AM
Weekend of September 23rd. New moon tide with a high at 9:30 am at Watch Hill, RI. Just putting the feelers out. Warmer weather and the Albies should be at peak. Burlingame campground as headquarters for Friday and Saturday night?

Phil

juro
08-11-2006, 08:08 AM
Hmmm.... sounds very interesting....

Rhodyfest before Boneclave? That would be a first... but then again sometimes it feels like we are late... hmmmm

bonefishmon
08-11-2006, 08:59 AM
Past threads have looked better for September and the camping gear will be out and ready for Boneclave two weeks later. Should be a no brainer. Just come and fish....camp or hit the local motels. We'll converge Friday evening at Paddy's for pizza and suds and hit the beach out front for some night fishing....floodlights at the Andrea....Sat. morning bird scouting and shouting. Breachways, Napatree........................phonetree to the hot action.

Phil

juro
08-11-2006, 09:05 AM
Weekapaug hardtails, and hooking up with statesman Art Burton too

bonefishmon
08-11-2006, 10:09 AM
Art. How are you doing these days? Would love your input on this!

Phil

Adrian
08-11-2006, 10:54 AM
I'm already there :smokin:

Smcdermott
08-11-2006, 02:17 PM
I should be around and might be in position to provide some intel. I am considering taking the week leading up off to do some hardtail chasing myself.

Sean

JimW
08-11-2006, 10:10 PM
Fishing is very good around my neck of the woods at this time but there are no Bones here so Mabye, just Maybe.

Can you say Mountauk?

FishHawk
08-12-2006, 09:14 PM
Sounds good to me. I'm there unless something unexpected turns up. FishHawk

Guernseybass
08-12-2006, 09:54 PM
as i've not had a chance to meet up with you guys, i would like to be included as a tentative ?

I should be able to make it by 8pm on Friday and fish Saturday daytime.

Mark.

artb
08-13-2006, 06:18 AM
In my opinion that should be a good weekend. over the years I have seen a good assortment of migrating fish, from Charlestown RI to Napatree., and I know all along the coast of RI during the last couple of weeeks of September. Hope I am well enough to be of some help, I should be able to get some flyfishers in some interesting spots.:roll:

bonefishmon
08-13-2006, 05:39 PM
Art........so good to hear from you. We look forward to your advice leading up to that weekend. The "pull off" at what I've always called "Panic Point" would be a good place to meet if you are still under the weather but would still like to watch us fish from your new XTerra. That's the bowl just east of the Weekapaug Breachway. I propsed to my wife there back in 1973. It was one of my favortite surfing spots. Please keep us up to date and I'm sure there are many on the Forum that would really enjoy meeting you.

Mark. It would be just great if you could make it down.

Phil

bonefishmon
08-13-2006, 05:46 PM
Fishing is very good around my neck of the woods at this time but there are no Bones here so Mabye, just Maybe.

Can you say Mountauk?

You put it together and we'll be there! We can rent the entire ferry to Orient Point from New London and hire a bus to get us to Montauk and then you can take all of us out a few at a time on the Hydra Sport. LOL!!!!!!

Montauk Clave? Hummmm. Fish Hawk will buzz the area and dig his talons into the closest fish to the shore. Yikes! I think you have got me going tommorrow!!

Phil

Chris
08-14-2006, 11:07 AM
Say no more, Say no more, a nudge is as good as a wink to a blind man, wot.

Should be condsiderably warmer even if it rains, than last year. Count me in.

Quentin
08-14-2006, 08:53 PM
Aye? Aye?, Wink, wink, nudge, nudge . . . :hihi:

Put me down as a definite maybe or wannabe or hopeful or whatever seems to fit based on the following:

- I will be fly fishing somewhere in the salt if at all possible.

- I will be going to the Cape sometime in September, probably the first or second full week, but dates are not definite yet.

- there will most likely be a family birthday party on the weekend of the 23rd or the 30th. Even if it's the weekend of the 23rd I may still be able to get to RI for one day.

Q

bonefishmon
08-17-2006, 08:46 PM
Please tune in for further info first full week in September.

Phil

rockfisherman
08-21-2006, 02:37 PM
That should be a good weekend, third week in Sept usually is. New Moon Friday the 22cnd...and Sat the 23rd is the autumnal equinox. Not trying to jinx the weekend...but on a historical note the New England Hurricane of 1938 made landfall on Sept 21...on a new moon on the autumnal equinox...point being, let's hope there are no tropical storms to muck things up.

JimW
08-26-2006, 09:33 AM
I think I'll be down there that weekend at Burlingame, did it last year a bit later and it was a blast.

Striper
08-26-2006, 04:59 PM
Jim,
What weight rod do you cast those "Pink Flies" on?????:hihi:

bonefishmon
08-26-2006, 05:04 PM
I know a guy that got frustrated at the reefs and put a slugo on the fly rod. Caught one striper and then proceeded to break the tip of his fly rod casting it.

Phil

JimW
08-26-2006, 05:45 PM
Mike,
Forgot about that, I put that up just to bust Juro's ......:lildevl:
I've got a 12wt though.:hihi:

artb
08-27-2006, 05:01 AM
I finnally got to get down to the area last thursday and get my beach permit.:) The Exterra drives the sand trail real well, infact I didn't even have to let any air out. Two of the breachways had lots of spearings in, One also had a school of what looked like either small herring, or menhaden which were being harrassed by snapper blues, and small bass. Had one keeper bass which was quick released because about a 30 foot crusier went out at well over 5 mph causing a wave about 3 foot tall, had to scramble up the rocks. This is something new since the government dredged the pond, now mr and mrs rich bitch have a 30 foot crusier in their back yard on the pond:mad: , at least Weekapaug doesn't have this problem. First time out in about 3 years I did pretty well considering all the facts, tiered and sore though:rolleyes: I took a couple of pictures of some of the bait in the breach, which I am trying to copy off the new computer something is wrong as it takes ten minutes and I don't get the whole picture. Hope to make the Rhoddyclave.:biggrin:

bonefishmon
08-28-2006, 05:22 AM
Art. Thanks for the report! Very happy that you made it out on the sand trail. Please PM me if you ever want some company. I have Fridays and Saturdays off and live in Mystic. We could perhaps do a few recons before the Clave.

Phil

JimW
08-28-2006, 06:34 AM
Art, Great to hear you got out after all that time. I cannot imagine how tough it's been for you. Hope to see you down there soon.

juro
08-28-2006, 06:55 AM
Mike,
Forgot about that, I put that up just to bust Juro's ......:lildevl:
I've got a 12wt though.:hihi:

I have avatars turned off... what are we talking about here? :lildevl: :lildevl:

Smcdermott
08-28-2006, 11:28 AM
Good news is I will do my best to let you guys know what's going on ahead of time as I am taking the 3rd week of September off. Bad news is my wife has a company picnic on Saturday so I won't be around. Sunday I should be back at it.

Sean

artb
08-29-2006, 06:09 AM
Here is what Napatree Point looked like during an all out blitz by Bass. I think it should be a good chance for participants to catch fish.

fliboy
09-10-2006, 08:48 AM
Art - glad you're out there chasing those Stripers! Never forget the time you took me for a run up and down the RI beaches in your Blazer. Fish busting everywhere.

Is there an official link to sign up for the Rhody Fest and/or the Boneclave?

Been busy with work and kids, and haven't been fishing much this year. Hoping to get one of these events booked in to my calendar.

Thanks,

Dave