Do you check your rods? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Do you check your rods?

jhicks
08-11-2006, 06:47 AM
With world security at its current levels it begs to ask this question. Do you check your rods or carry them on? I usually myself just check them at the gate.

John

Vince
08-11-2006, 08:01 AM
I always carry my rods on with me--at least 2-3 of them. Any extras I would pack in checked bags. I use a Sage double rod holder, the one with the reel wells built in. It can hold a 3 piece, 10' rod. I can get 3 rods in there, with two reels.

I have never had a problem yet--Bahamas & Montana every year, and Mexico a few times.

I don't know if this will change after yesterday, but hopefully it will not.

Just be prepared to check them at the gate if they don't allow you to take 'em on the plane. That means pack rods in a durable & lockable rod holder to protect them from damage & theft, and make sure the rod holder has a securely affixed ID tag.

If packing rods with checked luggage, try and split them up in different bags, or put one rod in a checked bag, and the others in your checked rod holder. That way if one gets lost, you'll still have something to fish with while you wait for the airlines to get you your stuff.

Make sure your checked luggage is easily identifiable-put unique stickers on them, or tie a bandana or colored string onto a handle. This way you can spot your bag right away, and this will also discourage theft of your bag.

juro
08-11-2006, 08:05 AM
I check all but one - a 5 pc rod in a very innocent looking case with a shoulder strap. So far they've let me through with it even internationally.

In case the other rods don't make it I am always set to fish until they arrive.