Another Danielsson question [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Another Danielsson question

package
08-04-2006, 06:02 PM
Does anyone know the difference between Danielsson reels (Ron Larson-contact) and the Evotech's being sold as Loop G3? Very confusing. Is there a quality or support differentiation. Are they the same thing? Is there a patent violation afoot?

Confused, but needing a stout 10wt+ reel,
package

juro
08-04-2006, 06:15 PM
One is the original proven model, the other a recent adaptation in the wake of a split. I hear rumors about court cases but don't follow the rumor mill - Danielsson owns the patent and I just go with the proven one. I have a growing collection of Danielsson reels and honestly I really love 'em.

High end performance at a working man's price.

hmaadd
08-10-2006, 04:47 PM
Juro.

I'm looking for a sound tarpon reel. I can buy an abel for about the same price as the danielsson. Which would you suggest. thanks

juro
08-10-2006, 05:25 PM
Thats an easy one - buy the abel, then if you don't think it's all it's cracked up to be sell it and buy two new danielssons. :)

JR SPEY
08-11-2006, 10:06 AM
To specifically answer your question. Yes, the two reels are similar. So, indeed, are several other reels as the large arbor market gets refined. Danielsson reels are made in Sweden and marketed directly (no dealer involved.) That's one reason for the lower prices. The new Loop G3 reels are designed in Sweden, and use several European parts, including bearings made in Germany, but are actually made in Korea. They have a price similar to Danielsson's simply because manufacturing in Korea is considerably cheaper than either the US or most of Europe. That allows them to offer their reels through the Loop dealer network. Yes, there are lawsuits going on right now, one of which involves the use of the Evotec model name as well as designations like HD9-13. Both reels are very nice, just make sure you know which one you have (and there was a G2 in there from Loop also) before seeking repair service or ordering a spare spool.

salmo
08-19-2006, 01:19 AM
Danielsson reel are proven and unbreakable, unless abused. The new Loop ……time will tell.
If you read Spay Pages the new models from Loop had few problems……
The Abels will require occasional maintenance ( unlike Danielsson. Abel has open cork drag. Danielsson drag uses set of multiple disks: super hard steel + super durable carbon, which is hermetically seald ) . Also on some Able models changing the spool is not an easy task when fishing.